byrants gully

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

hey wondering what byrants gully is like thinking of doing that one next because it’s the longest scramble in wales and it’s only a grade 2 and it’s got no walking what’s it like compared to y garn east ridge and idwal buttress 

Post edited at 15:43
 rockcatch 29 Aug 2020
In reply to Cneifion Arête:

From a personal point of view myself and a couple of friends went to it once, started scrambling up it and decided it was way too slimy and backed off again.

I imagine to be pleasant it would need a good dry spell first, which we’ve definitely not had. I’ve not been back to it, so can’t comment on what it is like when it is really dry.

In reply to rockcatch:

ah fair enough i could imagine it might be a bit daunting in wet 

Yoshi 29 Aug 2020

I've not done Idwal Buttress, but Y Garn East Ridge is a good bit easier than Byrant's Gully. They are both great routes. The gully is less exposed but much harder technically. 

I climbed the gully solo in torrential rain, under these conditions it felt like a grade 3S. Despite or even because of these difficulties, the gully was an epically atmospheric expedition; a sustained and continuous line of weakness through Glyder Fawr's massive south face. Whilst the route offers continuous scrambling and some sharp obstacles, these two factors are rarely combined; the sharp obstacles aren't themselves that sustained. 

In good, dry, conditions, the gully is - i imagine - still pretty tough. The latest Cicerone guide grades it a 2+ (the same as Bastow Buttress, Braich Ty Du Face, Ideal Staircase et. al.), which i'd agree with. There are various obstacles that are harder than you'd expect at grade 2. 

The ridge is much simpler, even if the hardest route over the initial buttresses is taken. Most of the ridge is far more escapable, takes less drainage, dries quicker etc.

Greetz

Dr.S at work 29 Aug 2020

I really enjoy Bryant’s, but be aware there is plenty of loose rock about, and some quite steep pitches.

towards the base is a plaque to someone who died on it - keep a steady head and check holds - even (especially) big ones. Remember that pushing down on to holds - pushing the rock into the cliff - will reduce the chance of a nasty surprise.

gezebo 29 Aug 2020

Here you go. It’s just like this. 

youtube.com/watch?v=4Qe4cTnzD3w&

jaipur 29 Aug 2020
In reply to Cneifion Arête: are we really going to have to endure days and days of your rambling nonsense and fantasy again?  I sympathise if you are unwell, and would encourage you to seek professional help, otherwise just get on and do something!

aln 29 Aug 2020
In reply to jaipur:

> are we really going to have to endure days and days of your rambling nonsense and fantasy again?

Only if you read the threads, your choice. 

Post edited at 21:35
 John Ww 29 Aug 2020

Thought you'd be too busy shagging your hot new girlfriend,  you know, the one who just walked up to you ...or not. Either that, or writing your next award winning (c)rap.

tehmarks 29 Aug 2020

> it’s only a grade 2

Well that changed quickly...

Post edited at 22:16
In reply to John Ww:

you’re a dick head u know that there is no need to rude u didn’t have to read this thread 

ben b 30 Aug 2020
In reply to rockcatch:

I went up there with the future Mrs B the morning after we got engaged. Despite that she still married me. 

It was an interesting day - we found someone about halfway up trying to aid it! They were stuck at the slab above the little pool (which had a decaying sheep in). The penalty for slipping off the slab was standing on the putrefying carcass. He had a thousand mile stare and was quite pleased to see some other humans - was clearly massively psyched and was trying to stop his jumps getting caught on the sheep. It was all very weird.

I really enjoyed the upper section through the basalt, and it's pretty quiet at the top for a picnic. Agree long dry spell ideal (it would be a very serious adventure in the rain).

b

Donotello 30 Aug 2020

I’ve never asked anyone on the internet how one of the 100’s of routes I’ve climbed was prior to doing it, I’m still here.

In fact getting advice from strangers could be more dangerous or time wasting than using your own judgment. 

You’re not going to learn to judge these things if you don’t use your own initiative for anything. Plus it’s annoying. 

Lankyman 30 Aug 2020

> you’re a dick head u know that there is no need to rude u didn’t have to read this thread 

How rude of YOU. You won't become the scrambling babe magnet of your dreams if you can't be a little more diplomatic. Maybe you can smoke a little of that product you sell and chill out dude?

Myfyr Tomos 30 Aug 2020

Hey guys, is it possible to edit the thread title? It grates...  or maybe I've risen to the bait.

d_b 30 Aug 2020

Wait for a dry spell and wear a helmet.

John Ww 30 Aug 2020

> you’re a dick head u know that there is no need to rude u didn’t have to read this thread 

Ouch! I’m cut to the very quick. I doubt I shall ever sleep again.

xbraddersx 30 Aug 2020

I did it in the torrential rain. It was basically a waterfall. We escaped after the first gully because it was very cold.

Great day, though very serious! We took a rope but it wasn’t needed. Excellent scramble but felt more like gorge walking.

Removed User 30 Aug 2020

I think you should do it in the rain just to see if its harder...... please

yelotango 30 Aug 2020

It`s a long walk back to the Pass, you could try down-climbing it.

Jim blackford 30 Aug 2020

It's pretty damn hard (harder than cneifon arete anyway) if there's a normal amount of water on it . Wait for a dry spell and even then it's probably worth grade 3 . 

Unless y garn east ridge felt easy don't even think about it 

Post edited at 23:35
 tehmarks 31 Aug 2020

Report to Mr. James after school on Monday. You shall write five hundred times 'I must not be a rude young man to complete strangers on the Internet'.

In reply to tehmarks:

lmao this shits funny he’s the one who started it 

UKC Forums 31 Aug 2020
This thread was started in the ROCKTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

HILLTALK
A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/info/forums.html
In reply to UKC Forums:

i thought byrants gully was a climb it’s not a hill ?

John Ww 31 Aug 2020
In reply to UKC Forums:

Can I suggest a move to a new forum - “Bullshit Corner”?

The clue is in the forum description:

"A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks."

If it was regarded as a "climb" then it would get a climbing grade, not a scrambling grade.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...