Beinn Eighe Munros in one go

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 it624 02 Aug 2019

I'm heading up Torridon way in a few weeks, and was trying to work out a way of doing all the Munros on Beinn Eighe is one long walk, while not having to do too much on the road. I've plotted something at about 25km, starting in Kinlochewe and traversing E-W with an out and back for Ruadh-stac Mhòr, but there's about 8km of road to get back to the car. 

Any unmapped paths or similar that would shorten the trudge?

Removed User 02 Aug 2019
In reply to it624:

I just hitch hiked back along the road. It's fairly busy in Summer.

skog 02 Aug 2019
In reply to it624:

If you mean both of the Munros (there are only two, Ruadh-stac Mor and Spidean Coire nan Clach), you can easily do a circuit from the Coire Dubh Mor car park, heading up the southern slopes, along the ridge. I'd take in a visit to Coire Mhic Fhearchair whatever you do, it's perhaps the finest coire in the country and you can walk out round the stalker's path which is quite long but easy going.

If you mean all the Munro tops - a great outing - you're stuck with a traipse or hitch, or a there-and-back-again on the ridge. I'd probably start this from the Kinlochewe end, up over the Black Carls, and finishing down through Coire Mhic Fhearchair back to the Coire Dubh Mor car park.

I wouldn't think you'd have much trouble hitching back to Kinlochewe unless you're doing it very late on; alternatively you could leave the car at Coire Dubh Mor and hitch up to the start of your walk.

Harry Jarvis 02 Aug 2019
In reply to it624:

As I recall, there are two Munros on Beinn Eighe - Ruadh-stac Mor and Spidean Coire nan Clach. An alternative would be to walk into Coire Mhic Fhearchair from Glen Torridon (the car park at 958568), past the loch and up onto the ridge to the west of the triple buttresses. From there, follow the ridge roughly east to Spidean Coire nan Clach. Then retrace your steps to Coinneach Mor and head north to Ruadh-stac Mor. From Ruadh-stac Mor, retrace your steps to the bealach and descend back into Coire Mhic Fhearchair and back to the car park. 

Mark Bull 02 Aug 2019
In reply to it624:

There is no path, but it is quite feasible to get back down to the road from Sgurr nan Fhir Duibhe: head ESE until the ridge flattens out, then descend S (still some scree initially) until the angle eases, and finally head SW, following a burn, back towards the start of the Coire an Laoigh path. 

Simon Caldwell 02 Aug 2019
In reply to it624:

You could start near Cairn Sheil (the normal approach for the traverse), and after the final top descend to Coire Mhic Fhearchair (again as normal). But instead of following the track west and south, head NE then east under the north side of Ruadh Stac Beag - it's rough going, but there is a track of sorts in places (followed by the Cape Wrath Trail). When you get to the col south of Meall a Ghiuthais there's a better path taking you back to the car park just NW of Kinlochewe.

Caveat - I've not done the route as described! When I've done the traverse I've always either taken a bike or arranged cars and headed back to the road near Liathach. I've done the route round the north side of the hill, but that was a separate trip. It's tougher walking than the normal way, but you wouldn't have to worry about transport.

Siward 02 Aug 2019
In reply to it624:

I spent three days on it. 1. Walk in and camp below the triple buttress. 2. Up to the summit plateau, walk around and camp on top. 3. Walk off. Memorable  

EuanM 02 Aug 2019
In reply to it624:

I did the route you suggested but carried on across Liathach as well. Makes for a great long day out.

Managed to hitch a lift back without too much difficulty. 

lpretro1 21 Aug 2019
In reply to it624:

Leave a bike at one end & cycle back to car

wintertree 21 Aug 2019
In reply to skog:

>  I'd take in a visit to Coire Mhic Fhearchair whatever you do, it's perhaps the finest coire in the country

Agreed.  It’s one of the best swims I’ve had as well; the water was 7oC in late August so quite bracing...

In reply to it624:

It's a big day (25km, 2000m ascent...) and a lot of it is on rough wet ground, but one possibility starting at Kinlochewe is to walk west along the glens at the northern foot of Beinn Eighe, eventually gaining the ridge crest via Coire Mhic Fhearchair. You can then walk back east along the crest via all the tops (detour to Sail Mhor and Ruadh Stac Mor). Almost no road walking required (teensy bit at the end).

I think this is a brilliant route, as the low level approach gets you way out into the back of beyond in a very wild setting, and gives you great views of the massif's impressive northern side. And of course you get the full traverse too. However I wouldn't call it easy.

I described it in this book: https://www.cicerone.co.uk/great-mountain-days-in-scotland

Removed User 21 Aug 2019
In reply to it624:

Did all the Munros and Tops in a memorable day. As per Eric I hitched back to my car. First car to go by stopped to give me a lift.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...