Alps 3day tour

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Herdwickmatt 18 Sep 2018

Hi folks,

It's my ten year wedding anniversary next year. The missus suggested doing a bit of Alpine (any other mountains are acceptable) tour to celebrate. We are both fell/mountain marathon runners so would like to do a bit of an alpine walk/run tour. We have 3nights(ish) and would probably go hut-to-hut. Easily accessible from airports is a must!

Any suggestions? 

Thanks,

Matt

McHeath 18 Sep 2018
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

Too early to congratulate yet ... which month/season are you planning on?

OP Herdwickmatt 18 Sep 2018
In reply to McHeath:

Probably Easter or June (I'm a teacher so we need to squeeze it into holidays) and around childcare for the toddlers

DaveHK 18 Sep 2018

You could do part of the Aosta Alta Via 2. It's absolutely stunning.

http://www.lovevda.it/en/sport/trekking/alte-vie-trails/alta_via_2

DaveHK 18 Sep 2018

> Probably Easter or June (I'm a teacher so we need to squeeze it into holidays) and around childcare for the toddlers

Easter will severely narrow your options, its prime ski touring season!

goatee 19 Sep 2018

Tour of Dents du Midi. Absolutely stunning and should be do-able in three days. Easy with public transport as well. Not until June though. 

Toerag 19 Sep 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

> Easter will severely narrow your options, its prime ski touring season!

As will June - anything remotely high will still have snow on north-facing ledges.

to the OP - Have a look at the Bavarian alps - fly to Munich and hire a car or use the trains. If you're thinking of easter or June then there's plenty of stuff of low enough altitude to avoid the snow.  The webcams at fotowebcam.eu are useful as you can look back and work out when the snow goes.

Have you been to the alps before? If so, which bits?

BobtheBagger 19 Sep 2018

Because of the fairly early time of year, I´d second what Toerag suggested, as you need to be thinking of somewhere high enough to be exciting but low enough to let the snow clear from the high passes. We had a great trip, hut to hut from Oberstdorf, in south west Germany. Easy flight to Munich, then regular trains straight to Oberstdorf, it's in the Allgau Alps. Lovely spot and great for lake swimming too if that takes your fancy.

Post edited at 16:11
 gavinj 19 Sep 2018
In reply to Herdwickmatt: the Vaniose is lovely, easy to get to from Grenoble or Lyon airports. There is a tour of the Vaniose that can be cut down, and if you are runners you will love it and move fast. There is a Cicerone guide. ‘Sound of music’ Alps - Alpine meadows in full bloom in June and snowy peaks. Probably a bit of snow on some trails but should be well tracked.

OP Herdwickmatt 24 Sep 2018

So we've been to Briancon region, Champegny en Vanoise and to Gresse en Vercors, but all with little kids. We've managed some running and hiking but nothing long or very high.

Thanks for the suggestions, we'll look into them.

Toerag 25 Sep 2018

> So we've been to Briancon region, Champegny en Vanoise and to Gresse en Vercors, but all with little kids. We've managed some running and hiking but nothing long or very high.

Definitely try to head east into the Limestone alps / Dolmites for a change of scenery. As they're lower altitude you should be able to get some summits in, something that's more difficult in the more famous areas.

RogerM 22 Nov 2018

I walked through the Vanoise on GR5 last year and there were several people doing multi-day tours around the Vanoise. Talking to them they seemed to be on 4 or 5 days routes between refuges. Wonderful area. April would be too early unless you are geared up for camping in the snow. Refuges open mid-June , which is an amazing time of year, and wild camping isn't allowed.

I may go back & do one of the routes.

RogerM 22 Nov 2018

Also

The are easily accessible multi-day routes in the Pyrenees - my favourite walking area, or even just single day routes. Not quite as snowy as the Alps

John Ww 22 Nov 2018
In reply to BobtheBagger:

Another vote for Oberstdorf. We were skiing and walking there last Christmas, and cycling, climbing and walking there this summer. The village/town is lovely, the food is cheap and excellent, the beer is fantastic (and only €3 a pint even in the huts), the trains and buses are brilliant, and there’s loads of stuff to see and do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...