Alpine Conditions for Backpacking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bendavidsteel 07 Nov 2019

I'm planning on doing some kind of backpacking route next week in the French Alps area, and am wondering what the conditions are for passes at around 2500m. Are they passable without snowshoes?

Any historic conditions for this time of year/reports of current conditions would be great, thanks

Doug 07 Nov 2019
In reply to bendavidsteel:

where ? Here in the Champsaur (southern end of the Ecrins) it was snowing at 1300m this morning (now raining) & there's been snow above circa 2000m for several days although I've no idea of its depth (weather hasn't been great so not really been out).

philipjardine 07 Nov 2019

snow depths are here:

http://www.webcams-montagne.fr/nivoses.php

Diddy 07 Nov 2019

I hiked the Maximilian Way in the German and Austrian Alps in June. Check for the weather Apps for region you area going to. I cannot remember the ones I used. They had a big snow last year and I would hazard a guess snow chutes from last year are still there. I crossed plenty. I think there is a lot of new snow falling right now.

OP bendavidsteel 07 Nov 2019
In reply to Doug:

Was thinking about doing the GR54, so the Vallouise area ish.

OP bendavidsteel 07 Nov 2019
In reply to philipjardine:

Thanks! Wasn't aware of this website.

Doug 07 Nov 2019

The whole GR54 takes at least a week for most in summer using guarded huts, gites etc, most of which will be winter room only at the moment (even in the valleys many businesses such as cafés & hotels are shut). Much of the higher ground is snow covered at the moment although unlikely to be consolidated so might be slow walking. There's a user called Badmarmot (or similar) who lives near Vallouise who might give you better information for that part of the Ecrins but its not that far from here as the crow flies & doubt conditions are very different.

Have you checked the weather forecast? seems snowy & cold for much of next week

I live down the road from Vallouise at 1000m, As Doug said it was snowing this morning and is snowing just now 22:00, it wont stay round for long at this level, but its been unseasonably wet last few week, so up high its been snowing quite a bit, serre che (local ski resort) has 1.3m at 2800.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...