Advice walking in Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JHOCKENHULL 25 Nov 2019

So went up lochnager 1155m near loch muir, last weekend cause of the warm weather, the snow was slushy as hell, took us 4 hours to get there nightmare,

I'm out this weekend but only got a cold snap on Friday of - 1 would this make a good weekend to go out or wait out? Or any other better places to go cairngorms area of Fort William way? 

Rigid Raider 25 Nov 2019
In reply to JHOCKENHULL:

The occasional visitor is always going to be at a disadvantage compared to the local when it comes to walking conditions and avalanche dangers, which depend so much on the snowfall, wind direction, humidity and temperature over the preceding days. 

If it's been warm and damp and the forecast is for a cold snap I would be packing crampons and axe in anticipation of frozen snow and potentially excellent walking conditions with relatively stable snow as long as fresh dry powdery snow doesn't blow in and dump on old frozen snow.

Post edited at 16:07
 Mark Bull 25 Nov 2019
In reply to JHOCKENHULL:

The forecast is for clear skies and lowering freezing levels from Thursday into the weekend. I would certainly expect a refreeze of any remaining snow, though it is hard to predict exactly how fast this will happen, and there may be a period of time with unpleasant breakable crust conditions until the freeze penetrates far enough into the snowpack to support your weight. However, it's almost always worth getting out in nice weather in this country in winter! 

Flinticus 26 Nov 2019
In reply to JHOCKENHULL:

I've been wondering too, about the snow. Cold snap from Thursday to Monday as far as predicted with relatively low summit winds (e.g. Beinn Dorain circa 16-9 mph Fri & Sat, with the lowest speeds Sat)

So question is how much snow is already down & settled and how low does it go ? I do not fancy the thin crust on softer snow variety! Not for too long anyway. 

Rigid Raider 27 Nov 2019
 Flinticus 27 Nov 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

SAIS not yet doing reports for this season. 

Mark Bull 28 Nov 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Webcams showing very little remaining old snow and just a very light fresh dusting in the east. Should be easy going underfoot for the weekend. 

Flinticus 28 Nov 2019
In reply to Mark Bull:

Western hills looking almost clear! That's not what i expected, given rainfall yesterday / day before.

Mike-W-99 28 Nov 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Freezing levels were above the summits until late on yesterday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...