A long walk....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I am going to get the train south. Go south through the fields of England. Change in London, and further still to Paris and Montparnasse. Faster now, but south still to the Spanish border. 

And there, I will shoulder a pack and slowly walk higher through the Basque rain and mists to La Rhune. And the city life will slough off as I fumble with my tent and spill my tea. And the sounds will be different and the smells will be different and the light will be different. 

Ahead, in rippling folds,  glimpsed in the early morning, are the gentle Pyrenees and end to end I will go, walking slow, taking so long that time itself will change and endless days and nights will become one.

Past the bluest lakes and granite peaks, stopping for an early coffee at a refuge, served by a smiling young guardian, looking up to see circling lammergeiers, gazing beyond the twisted pines to the winding path.... 

Anyone else, planning a long walk? 

mike123 17 May 2020
In reply to Heartinthe highlands: thanks for posting  ,I really liked that , have you written owt  else ?  I'm. Not planning a long walk , but could do with one ...

how very odd , as I type this I m listen to 6 music and on comes Dylan ......come in she said, I'll give you shelter from the storm....

Post edited at 16:35
Rigid Raider 17 May 2020
In reply to Heartinthe highlands:

Well, yes, lots of walking but we are moving northwards to Scotland in the Autumn to re-start our lives as mountaineers after 35 years of working, finding a spouse and raising a child.

> Anyone else, planning a long walk? 

Last year I walked Glasgow to Pitlochry on John Muir trail.  Thinking about continuing this with Pitlochry to Aviemore and then East Highland way to Fort William.

skog 17 May 2020

We had a vague plan for a family trip to the Pyrénées this summer, a multi-day trip with several overnight camps, but nothing too taxing as our kids are 10 and 12.

Even bought the tent.

Ach well, maybe next year or the one after. And we can probably still do a few overnight trips in the Highlands this year, at least.

Thanks for sharing your 'wandering'!

Jack Frost 17 May 2020
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> Last year I walked Glasgow to Pitlochry on John Muir trail.  Thinking about continuing this with Pitlochry to Aviemore and then East Highland way to Fort William.

I think you must have taken the wrong fork, doesn’t the John Muir walk go to Dunbar? Maybe it was the Rob Roy Way you did, I think that’s Glasgow to Pitlochry. Have looked at that as a 3day run before but accommodation on the south side of Loch Tay is scarce.

Welsh Kate 17 May 2020

I've got 35kms to go on the virtual Beacons Way I'm doing in 5km chunks round the streets of Penarth so I'm thinking of doing the real thing. Only I'm convinced that as soon as lockdown ends we'll have classic British summer weather! 

Matt Podd 17 May 2020

I'm looking forward to completing the Welsh 2000ft hills. Only 35 to go from the list of 230 I'm using. Black Mountains, Radnor forest, a couple of Moelwyns and 4 in Snowdonia. Bring it on - It's only taken 46 yrs so far!

Tom Valentine 17 May 2020

Youve just given me a fantastic idea !!!!!

Love La Rhune, by the way. Really cool fridge magnet.  .

russellcampbell 17 May 2020
In reply to Jack Frost:

> I think you must have taken the wrong fork, doesn’t the John Muir walk go to Dunbar? Maybe it was the Rob Roy Way you did, I think that’s Glasgow to Pitlochry. Have looked at that as a 3day run before but accommodation on the south side of Loch Tay is scarce.

Take Forth and Clyde towpath from Maryhill in Glasgow to Kirkintilloch. Here join the John Muir WAY [not TRAIL which is in Sierra Nevada in USA] which joins the West Highland Way near Strathblane.

[Confusingly, this is also part of the Thomas Muir Way. Thomas Muir  was an 18th century Scottish radical from Bishopbriggs. Knowing Tom in Edinburgh's political views he might be interested in reading about him. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Muir_of_Huntershill#Muir_and_the_Unite....]

Follow West Highland Way to Drymen where Rob Roy Way starts and goes on to Pitlochry.

Alternative is to use Kelvin Walkway from Transport Museum to Milngavie and join start of WHW there.

Post edited at 19:59
 DaveHK 17 May 2020

I'm planning something similarly chilled and wandering but on the bike. Out the door and see where we end up.

In reply to Jack Frost:

> I think you must have taken the wrong fork, doesn’t the John Muir walk go to Dunbar? Maybe it was the Rob Roy Way you did, I think that’s Glasgow to Pitlochry. Have looked at that as a 3day run before but accommodation on the south side of Loch Tay is scarce.

Yeah, Rob Roy way from Drymen to Pitlochry plus first stage of West Highland Way from Glasgow to just outside Drymen to start it.  I got confused since I did a few of the John Muir stages as well last year.  They cross each other near Drymen.

I went off-piste a bit along Loch Tay due to days of rain causing more mud than my approach shoes could deal with and just stayed on the road for a lot of it.  That was flat and fast and easy.   If you are running and can't carry camping gear then Killin and Kenmore are your options.

Jamie Hageman 18 May 2020

Oh how I'd love to go to the Pyrenees right now.  I had planned cycling through France this year.  I bought a new bike and some bags and was going to just follow my nose - a very small scale map so I can avoid the big cities.  Possibly wild camping with the occasional campsite to regroup.  Start in Normandie and go South via a couple of friends' houses, taking in Auvergne and Dordogne, then finishing either through the Alps or Pyrenees and on to the Med.  Meet up with my Mum and Dad and wife and kids along the way and get a lift home at the end.  Possibly next year now, or 2022. 

Siward 18 May 2020
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

I have a few long walks planned to collect disparate and spaced out Munros. Alas unlikely to be this year since as soon as work resumes and my ability to earn I shall be working solidly (I hope) to make the finances work. Hey ho, I can still plan  

Aunty Social 18 May 2020

The plan was to take two and a bit weeks and walk the Cambrian Way, starting end of May.......

Now waiting for Wales to make me welcome. I'm patient but it ain't half flat out here in Cambridgeshire.

sheffieldchris 18 May 2020

I had all my flights, permits, 6 month USA visa, logistics, guide book and outline plan for the 2650 mile Pacific Crest Trail. Start date 18 April on Mexico border 4 to 5 months later get to the Canadian border.

I was one unhappy bunny on the 18th of April seeing 6 months of planning go out the window.

I am still seeking a 500 mile+ walk this year. Lots of options all now dependent on all new rules for access and travel.

toad 18 May 2020
In reply to sheffieldchris:

> I am still seeking a 500 mile+ walk this year.

The Proclaimers might be able to help.

Sorry

Rip van Winkle 19 May 2020
In reply to toad:

(off topic) Am I alone in hearing a subliminal advert in that song? "Shopping at Asda, shopping at Asda, da-da-da da-da-da-diddly-da"

Wicamoi 22 May 2020

That is written beautifully HITH, like a latter day Walter de la Mare. I'm not planning a long walk but, for minding me of one from long ago, thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...