Winter 3 peaks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ryan_ID 22 Dec 2021

Hi all, 

I am looking to do some climbing/scrambling/trekking etc on/around the UK '3 peaks'. I am looking to do this over a week and go where conditions dictate. 

After missing out on the Alps season this year, I am looking for anything to get out and put some crampons on. I have neglected much of the winter UK offerings in pursuit of objectives abroad, and pending any restrictions, this would be a great time for some home grown action. 

I have been looking at historic weather reports, and I know this is a complete crystal ball exercise, but does anyone have any advice on when would be best for some good snowy conditions on Snowdonia, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis? If there are any weeks or months you would typically go for?

Thanks in advance. 

Phil1919 22 Dec 2021
In reply to Ryan_ID:

Is this one of those spoof posts?

profitofdoom 22 Dec 2021
In reply to Phil1919:

> Is this one of those spoof posts?

Doesn't look like it to me (but what do I know ha-ha-ha)

OP Ryan_ID 22 Dec 2021
In reply to Phil1919:

It's not, but thanks for questioning. 

Maggot 22 Dec 2021
In reply to Ryan_ID:

Only acceptable if you ice skate between peaks for a winter traverse.

PaulJepson 22 Dec 2021
In reply to Ryan_ID:

People may question your cred as there is no reason to look at two of the 'three peaks' as options for winter climbing (which makes your post sound a bit like you want to 'conquer Mount Snowden'). If you want reliability, bin the idea of anything in England or Wales. Scotland is the only place you can pretty much guarantee there will be snow, and even then you could have poor conditions (e.g. I booked a week to go winter climbing a few years ago in February and a few days before I arrived the Cairngorm summit weather station recorded 15 degrees). 

The weather is often a lot more stable in Scotland in late Feb/early March. 

Depending on how long you plan on going, I would base myself somewhere around Loch Laggan as that will give you reasonable access to Fort William, Glen Coe and the Cairngorms, so you can chase the best conditions. You also have Creag Meagaidh to go at locally.  

OP Ryan_ID 22 Dec 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

Thanks, unfortunately I am just keen to get on some form of a hill after being based in a very flat part of the country and cooped up for a substantial period of time. The main reason for including the other 'commercial' summits was to get some variety depending on conditions. Otherwise I'd join the hordes of busses later in the year doing it in 24 hours. 

Thanks for the recommendations on Loch Laggan and timings, I'll check this out. The Cairngorms have always looked tempting and a purely Scottish winter trip is looking more likely.

Very helpful advice, cheers.

Bottom Clinger 22 Dec 2021
In reply to Ryan_ID:

If I had to book a weeks leave: February, the week before half term. Reasonable daylight, less stormy, fewer people. Well, that’s the theory. Personally, I’d aim for Scotland, but with an option for Lakes/Scafell if conditions good enough (but if they’re good in the Lakes, chances are they will be good/better in Scotland). 

Graeme G 23 Dec 2021
In reply to Ryan_ID:

> The main reason for including the other 'commercial' summits was to get some variety depending on conditions. Otherwise I'd join the hordes of busses later in the year doing it in 24 hours. 

Variety? What on earth are you looking for?

Your 2nd sentence suggests you just want to do the 3 peaks, as opposed to actually go climbing.

I’m with the ‘this is a spoof post’ camp. 

abr1966 23 Dec 2021
In reply to Graeme G:

> I’m with the ‘this is a spoof post’ camp. 

+1

Profile says they've been up Mont Blanc, Breithorn and the Matterhorn but asking when will it be snowy in England,  Wales and Scotland!!!!??

graeme jackson 23 Dec 2021
In reply to abr1966:

> Profile says they've been up Mont Blanc, Breithorn and the Matterhorn but asking when will it be snowy in England,  Wales and Scotland!!!!??

To be fair the OP did say he was after recommendations BECAUSE he couldn't get to the alps this season.

bouldery bits 23 Dec 2021
In reply to Ryan_ID:

Mid Feb most likely. 

I'd probably just stick to Scotland if you just want to play in crampons. 

You'll probably get up Scafell pike / Snowdon and find a few patches of snow but likely nothing worth properly tooling up for. 

Pete Pozman 29 Dec 2021
In reply to Ryan_ID:

The only "3 Peaks challenge " worth doing is the Yorkshire 3 Peaks. The other one is a driving challenge,  which is stupid. I feel stupid having done it. Scotland is where Plas y Brenin usually bases its winter courses. The mountains are higher,  cover a greater area, and are nearer the Arctic Circle. Devise your own challenge once you get there. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...