Wild Camping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Leah J 22 Aug 2019

Me and 3 friends are off wild camping this weekend. We are planning on camping in the Derwent Dam area as its quieter than most places in the peak district. Does anyone have any good places for us to camp? We would like to be near water. 

Also I have read that you need permission to wild camp, is this the case at Derwent Dam?

Any tips will be great!!

Deviant 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Leah J:

In principle, all land belongs to someone, however I take the view that the planet and thus all land belong to everyone. It seems ludicrous that buying a piece of land excludes all other members of humanity from having  access and gaining enjoyment from it. I allow for home ownership and having a private space attached to it but all open land ought to be accessible.

Having said that, just be discreet, leave no trace of your passing and all will be well. 

Dark-Cloud 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Leah J:

No idea about where and if as that's not an area i'm familiar with but have a read here first:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/wild-camping-worries

If you know all this then apologies but you have no profile so i can't tell.

Leah J 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Deviant:

I always thought the same, but you can never be too sure! thank you for the advice.

Do you know anywhere quite secluded and away from passes by such as walkers? We want to be quite close to the water but not too out in the open as we want to enjoy the glorious sunshine this weekend  

Deviant 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Leah J:

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions; I don't know the Peak very well. 

Leah J 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Deviant:

Thanks for replying, its okay. 

I'm sure if we keep clean and tidy and aren't near paths or anything we should be okay I just didn't wona go and then when it gets dark to be hauled off by someone that owns the land haha!

galpinos 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Leah J:

I would say Derwent Dam would be a poor location:

• It's a really busy area of the Peak District, next to massive paths/roads/cycleways on a Bank Holiday Weekend
  • The visitor centre is just below the dam
  • It's not exactly wild

The areas that are great for wild camping in the Peak District are those far away from the crowds, not bang is the middle of "tourist hotspot".

Leah J 22 Aug 2019
In reply to galpinos:

Do give me some good areas to go 'wild camping' 

We were going to walk further up the reservoir at the Dam to be honest. Not park up and pitch the tent up right where the 'tourist hotspot' is as thats totally the opposite approach we were going for

In reply to Leah J:

FYI from the Park Authority

Wild camping

There is no provision under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act for camping on open access land. If you wish to wild camp in the Peak District National Park you must first obtain permission from the landowner before camping otherwise you will be committing a trespass. 

We do not allow wild camping on any land that we own.

Leah J 22 Aug 2019
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

How do I get permission? I have looked everywhere and unable to find someone to get in contact with. 

Rigid Raider 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Leah J:

Will you be bringing the camping kit back or just abandoning it as seems the fashion nowadays? 

Leah J 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

NO definitely not! We have all of our own gear and are intending on making sure we DO NOT make any mess, and will ensure we leave the area as we found it. 

We spent a lot of money on our camping stuff, we don't intend on leaving it anywhere. We have camped before but this was in Cornwall which is very different to the peak district haha

Thank you everyone as well for the advise it is very much appreciated. 

I just need a contact for the landowner, as I don't want it to seem like we are intruding or trespassing

galpinos 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Leah J:

The whole area is pretty busy. The reservoir is popular for easy walks/runs/bike rides. A bank holiday weekend will have all the car pros full, cars lining the A57 etc. Head up high away from people, pitch/strike at last/first light and leave no trace.

Rigid Raider 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Leah J:

If I was planning to camp in such a popular spot I would consider buying some camo netting to cover the tent. 

Leah J 22 Aug 2019
In reply to galpinos:

That sounds all good to be honest. We wanted to be pretty far away from everyone, we were going to walk up the reservoir and make sure we aren't close to any foot paths or anything. 

tjdodd 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Leah J:

Whilst in principle you need permission, in reality if you are discrete, leave no trace and pack up early you will be fine. It is unlikely anyone will tell you locations to avoid too many people. Take a look at the os map for dark peak and look for places off the main paths. Part of the fun is discovering good spots.

Bellie 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Leah J:

How far are you happing walking with your pack?  Plenty of places in the hills above and beyond Derwent and Howden.  You are never far away from a water source round there.  Ive never sought permission but stay away from the dam areas and up on the hills away from the weekend crowds.  

With all the rain we have been having - if it brightens up, you probably best avoid the woodlands low down near the dam anyway as it will be midge heaven.

Post edited at 14:56
Leah J 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Bellie:

Thank you so much for this advice. 

We are going to walk further away from the dam, so we arent around too many people. 

The only thing we are wanting is a water source quite nearby. But like you say if we travel further up we should be fine. 

I am just worried about being told to pack up and go when its pitch black! haha

Bellie 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Leah J:

If you are far enough in the wilds you'll be ok.  My first wild camping experiences up there involved broken sleep - expecting a knock on the tent!

If you keep going after Howden and continue past Slippery Stones and onward for a couple of miles following the path of the River Derwent, you'll find some spots low down. Or up towards Cartledge Bents at the top of Abbey Brook.  (which you can also access from following Derwent Edge past Back Tor and continuing onwards staying high).

One of the good things is to just go and enjoy wandering til you find the spot thats just right. And knowing its far enough away so you won't get disturbed helps a lot!

Leah J 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Bellie:

YES! this is what I am looking for! Thankyou so much. 

If you have any locations that are quite close to water please send them through to me on my email if you can that would be amazing and I can show the other half where we can go!  

leah.april10@outlook.com

Leah J 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Bellie:

Is it accessible to get up near there via car, then walk the rest?

fotoVUE 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Leah J:

Not a good idea to camp in the valley there (busy area) – GO UP HIGH...........Derwent Edge or the ridge on the other side, Rowlee Pasture etc Get an OS map out and look for spots and pack out everything.

Bellie 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Leah J:

Closest you will get is near Fairholmes (the road up past Derwent is closed at weekends) but not sure about overnight parking around Ladybower (security).  If it was me I'd get the bus to Ladybower Inn and walk up from there onto the Edge.

GrahamD 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Leah J:

I presume you have studied the appropriate OS map ? From that you will get an idea what is remote and what isn't. Finding water isn't usually a problem !

People are generally wary about posting 'wild' spots on the net because its a good way to stop them being wild.  In any case a large part of the fun is the discovery of your own spots.

lee birtwistle 22 Aug 2019
In reply to Leah J:

If your going to this area I would suggest somewhere up near Margery Hill.

Its going to be busy so I would aim to get there late and be up early.

No fires and take all away with you

Enjoy

John Gresty 23 Aug 2019
In reply to Leah J:

Lower small clough cabin.

John

tjdodd 23 Aug 2019
In reply to Leah J:

For good spots you probably want to be at least an hour if not two from the car parking.  In terms of water look for the secluded valleys as there will always be rivers.  Take water purification tablets as there are a lot of sheep around.

UKC Forums 23 Aug 2019
This thread was started in the STARTING OUT forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

HILLTALK
A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/info/forums.html
 peppermill 23 Aug 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

> I presume you have studied the appropriate OS map ? From that you will get an idea what is remote and what isn't. Finding water isn't usually a problem !

> People are generally wary about posting 'wild' spots on the net because its a good way to stop them being wild.  In any case a large part of the fun is the discovery of your own spots.

I was thinking the same. Also true with van spots. Half the fun is finding them yourself!

Frank Boase 31 Aug 2019
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

"

FYI from the Park Authority

Wild camping

There is no provision under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act for camping on open access land. If you wish to wild camp in the Peak District National Park you must first obtain permission from the landowner before camping otherwise you will be committing a trespass. 

We do not allow wild camping on any land that we own.

Leah J22 Aug 2019

In reply to paul__in_sheffield:

How do I get permission? I have looked everywhere and unable to find someone to get in contact with. 

You totally failed to answer Paul's question.

This attitude is a disgrace, but what we (the people) have come to expect from a bureaucrat.

TobyA 31 Aug 2019
In reply to Frank Boase:

> You totally failed to answer Paul's question.

What question?

> This attitude is a disgrace, but what we (the people) have come to expect from a bureaucrat.

What attitude? I suspect I'm not the only person completely confused by your post.

Siward 31 Aug 2019
In reply to Leah J:

So how did your trip go in the end? 

Ridge 31 Aug 2019
In reply to TobyA:

> What attitude? I suspect I'm not the only person completely confused by your post.

I've filed it under “Things I don't understand but I'm probably glad I don't”

deepsoup 31 Aug 2019
In reply to Siward:

> So how did your trip go in the end? 

This thread was originally posted in the "starting out" forum, which is one of the ones you can still post in without being a registered UKC/UKH user.  Since it's been moved Leah J would have to register to answer you, I hope she will but I think it's very unlikely that you're going to get a reply to that.

Top tip for anyone else in the OP's position in the future (who may see this, if they have the sense to check for old threads that might be relevant): make it possible for people to email you!

Nobody is likely to blab where their favourite spot is on the open forum, for pretty obvious reasons.  If you ask nicely though somebody just might share a little secret privately.  But obviously that ain't going to happen if you don't give them any way to get in touch.

Post edited at 20:27
 JimbotheScot 05 Sep 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

they posted their email address above

deepsoup 07 Sep 2019
In reply to JimbotheScot:

Oh yes.  I didn't spot that.  I tried to email the OP a little bit of info and a suggestion of a spot to have a look at via the usual way, of clicking the user name or the little envelope and found I couldn't.  Then forgot about it as I've been away for a wee bit.  Maybe I'll get around to doing that after all, cheers.

Dakin 16 Sep 2019
In reply to Leah J:

I just tend to pitch up anywhere out of the way. Arrive late leave early and you'll be spot on.

Remember LNT

profitofdoom 16 Sep 2019
In reply to Deviant:

> ...I take the view that the planet and thus all land belong to everyone. It seems ludicrous that buying a piece of land excludes all other members of humanity from having  access and gaining enjoyment from it......

By that logic me or anyone else can march through your living room and bedroom at any time, and stay for as long as we want, a week, a year. Is that what you believe? (I know what you said after that, doesn't change anything)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...