Which navigation software for walking?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshire_lad2 21 Apr 2020

I've been using Anquet Maps v6 for years (Yes, I know it's out of support and it's been around since 2005, but when you've forked out for the maps and they're probably not transferable, you tend to stick with it).

I'd like to be able to sit at home and plot a route (calculating distance & height gain/loss) on 1:25k & 1:50k.  Preferably Windows-based.  doesn't necessarily have to run on mobile (android).  Would be nice to be able to upload a day's GPX file off the Garmin and check the stats out too.  Don't mind paying a bit (but somehow resent the notion of an annual subscription, but might have to succumb), although there are freeebies around or could be happy with PAYG.  I had a look through a couple of the magazines and haven't found many recent recs, Googling finds a few ideas but mostly about general walking/outdoors (e.g. weather) apps not specifically mapping software (sorry, app).

What do people use/recommend/avoid?

TIA

Matt Podd 21 Apr 2020
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

OS Explorer maps and a compass

Viewranger is great.

DaveHK 21 Apr 2020
In reply to Matt Podd:

> OS Explorer maps and a compass

Yes! We have another winner in the long running 'who'll be first to recommend paper maps to someone asking about digital maps/gps' sweepstake! 

I was an Anquet v1.2 diehard until recently. I haven't found anything as good as Anquet but in the end I went for the OS online offering. I also dislike subscription services but I'm happy with paying £20 a year for UK 50,000 and 25,000 maps until something better comes along. The most annoying thing about the OS service is not its limited functionality but that they seem deaf to their users' requests for improvements. Runs in a browser on Windows and you can upload GPX files. I think there's a free trial.

Robert Durran 21 Apr 2020
In reply to Matt Podd:

> OS Explorer maps and a compass

Landranger is perfectly sufficient.

Chmusar 21 Apr 2020

Why not use Basecamp for Garmin quite simple to use and just plug your Garmin device into pc and will show everything you want to see also you can upload any tracks , routes GPX etc that you create on Basecamp straight to your Garmin device.

It also uses any maps you have on your Garmin.

SouthernSteve 21 Apr 2020

Have you looked at upgrading to the latest version - the PC and iOS versions are great. The Mac version is an unfinished piece of .......beta software

https://www.anquet.com/pages/pc-software

Suncream 21 Apr 2020

I think osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk does everything you require, if you get a subscription. That will also let you use the app on your phone with the 1:25/1:50 maps

Simon Caldwell 22 Apr 2020

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php doesn't go to 1:25K but otherwise has what you want.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/ has 1:25K but no import option.

I use a combination of the two - plot on walkhighlands, save to gpx, and import to bikehike to see the ascent profile. I then use a map and compass when out on the hill, but you could easily import to your gps unit.

HardenClimber 22 Apr 2020

I like the new Anquet OMN, and everything except paper / plastic maps seems to be moving to a subscription (and the way paper maps wear, they are almost on subscription too).

Martin W 22 Apr 2020
In reply to Suncream:

> I think osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk does everything you require, if you get a subscription.

As an OS Maps subscriber, I can confirm that it does do that.  You can also export a plotted route as a GPX to load in to your Garmin device for navigation in the field.

> That will also let you use the app on your phone with the 1:25/1:50 maps

Also correct.  You can also print hard copies of maps from the web app on a PC or Mac.  (I find it useful to print an A4 hard copy of my route, fold it in two and tuck it in to an Ortlieb A5 size waterproof document case to carry with me in case the electronics misbehave.  The document case will easily roll up and tuck in to a trouser pocket.)

With the phone app you can download the map of a given area at both 1:25,000 and 1:50,000 scales for offline use, meaning that you can still navigate to a good level of detail without having to have a data connection.  (Same idea as Google Maps, if you've ever used the offline mapping capability in their app.)

An OS Maps subscription is £23.99 a year vs £24.99 for Viewranger.  I've no experience with the Viewranger app to be able to advise whether the extra £1 a year is worth it.

Martin W 22 Apr 2020

One observation I would make is that Viewranger will make an attempt to follow roads and paths when you're plotting a route, which OS Maps doesn't - it just goes as the crow flies between the waypoints you select on the map.  That said, I don't rate Viewranger's auto-following particularly highly, certainly not compared to MayMyRun for example (though that latter is also handicapped by being limited to using Google Maps).  In fact I'd say that OpenStreetMaps' route planning is better than any of those previously mentioned, so long as it has roads, paths or tracks to follow.

Overall, though, I'd suggest that plotting a route in open country, where mapping of paths & tracks varies between barely reliable and non-existent, is less likely to be error-prone if done using manually-entered waypoints throughout.  And if you're working off a route description including OS grid references for the waypoints then OS Maps is probably the easiest option.

Baz P 24 Apr 2020

I’ve been using MemoryMap for many years. Does everything you want. Brilliant for plotting a route or track. Converts routes/tracks to gpx files. Shows 3D rotating maps, fly overs and all route stats.

The app is free with paid for maps. About £130 for the whole U.K. at 25k or separate NP maps or individual tiles.

Maps come with a licence to run on 5 devices. I run it on a Windows PC, IPhone and iOS tablet. Also runs on Android.

Rob Exile Ward 27 Apr 2020
In reply to Martin W:

Whoever thought it was a good idea to 'upgrade'  the OS app to switch scales automatically was no navigator though.

Herdwickmatt 27 Apr 2020
In reply to Matt Podd:

Luddite.... 

Harveys map and a thumb compass.

But to help the OP I tend to plot on https://maps.the-hug.net/

Rob Exile Ward 27 Apr 2020

Actually in the current climate, rather than splash out on expensive mapping software surely all you need is a large ball of string - unwind it as you go, then wind it back up again when you went to get back? Simple!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...