Which crampons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 melly1969 13 Dec 2021

I’m a newby and need advise as being told my new-ish Scarpa Terra GTX won’t take crampons - is this right or any help re which ones I need (not too costly)

thankies

mel

Dave the Rave 13 Dec 2021
In reply to melly1969:

Evening

They look like a B1 bendy boot. Boots are graded B1-B3 with the latter being rigid climbing boots.

Crampons are rated C1-3 with the latter meant for B3 boots often with step in bindings.

Normal C1 crampons should fit your boot.

I use Kahtoola KTS for what I do which is winter hillwalking with no need for the use of front points.

If that’s what you intend the boots for they will be fine. You will need a pair of anti balling plates too.

Bojo 13 Dec 2021

Bot alert

Dave the Rave 13 Dec 2021
In reply to Bojo:

> Bot alert

Boot alert ?

McHeath 14 Dec 2021
In reply to melly1969:

You have to get the right ones to fit your bots. B1 are bendy bots, so you need bendy crampons. There's this thing called Google, and if you put "B1 bots crampons" into that bit where you can type you will get lots of helpful answers. 

scotthldr 14 Dec 2021
In reply to melly1969:

The Scrapa Terra GTX are classed as B0 boots, so aren’t compatible with C1 crampons. All you’ll do is over stress the crampon to the point of failure. The Kahtoola ones above maybe suitable or you may want to look at micro spikes, depending on the intended use, but I wouldn’t be going up any hills in those.

Post edited at 08:47
 CantClimbTom 14 Dec 2021
In reply to melly1969:

If your crampon use is intended as emergency or very brief occasions you could consider petzl leopard crampons (with strappy bit at toes not the metal bar) which can be used with many B0 boots, Petzl even says approach shoes.

Note these are aluminium (not steel) so will blunt quickly on rock so they are walkers' get-out-of-jail not for setting off up Point Five gully! 

Fellover 14 Dec 2021
In reply to melly1969:

https://grivel.com/products/g1

I've used these on my running shoes, not super comfortable to run it, but I was using them for lightweight approaches in the alps. They're steel and really pretty good imo, they'll happily fit any boot regardless of rating, i.e. below B1 will be fine.

Edit to say these are similar to the Kahtoola's linked above, but with slightly more pointy front points, so I'd guess worse for running but better for anything more technical.

Post edited at 12:57
 LastBoyScout 14 Dec 2021
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> They look like a B1 bendy boot. Boots are graded B1-B3 with the latter being rigid climbing boots.

> Crampons are rated C1-3 with the latter meant for B3 boots often with step in bindings.

> Normal C1 crampons should fit your boot.

> I use Kahtoola KTS for what I do which is winter hillwalking with no need for the use of front points.

> If that’s what you intend the boots for they will be fine. You will need a pair of anti balling plates too.

No - boots are graded B0-B3.

These look like B0, which are generally unsuitable for crampon use, although you might be ok with the Kahtoola KTS ones (or similar) you mentioned for short distances/emergencies - and many people will do just that, including me.

You would also be fine with something like the Yaktrax or the other slip-on spiked ones if you only want something to avoid slipping on ice.

As a general rule, B1 should work with C1 crampons, B2 with C1 and C2 and B3 with C2 and C3 (and C1, although most people with C3 boots wouldn't bother with C1 crampons).

Post edited at 13:17

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...