What's the best/fastest/easiest way up Foel Fras?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maybe_si 17 Jul 2018

Having a crack at the 3000s N-S in a fortnight, any suggestions as to the best way to approach Foel Fras?  Whereas I know the rest of the route very well, I've only been up Foel Fras once when we did the 3000s S-N last year.  We descended to the col before Drum, turned left then straight down to the lake before picking up the dirt road.  Happy to reverse this if needs be but the plod from the lake to the col was fairly pathless if I remember rightly... is there a better way?

Cheers 

Deadeye 17 Jul 2018
In reply to maybe_si:

Well, it's a choice between what you have described (most direct but a kilometre and perhaps 300m of ascent pathless) or a slightly longer (maybe 1.5km) but solid path (track really) to the north.

The direct bash up Fras from the Aber falls and Afon goch is very (very very) wet and not much shorter.

I'd go north.

OP maybe_si 17 Jul 2018
In reply to Deadeye:

I'm open to ideas!  Whereabouts is the northern path that you mention?  

Removed User 18 Jul 2018
In reply to maybe_si:

If you have use of a car drive to car park at SH720715 thence walk along track to  SH712718 and follow the wall/fence and eventual stoney track to Drum and on to Foel Fras.

OP maybe_si 18 Jul 2018
In reply to Removed UserBoingBoing:

Great stuff thanks, how long would you allow car to summit at a relatively leisurely pace given that it will likely be 03:00 when we are mooching up there!

Removed User 18 Jul 2018
In reply to maybe_si:

I would say allow 2.5 hours steady

OP maybe_si 18 Jul 2018
In reply to Removed UserBoingBoing:

Just checked your suggestion on a map, seems like the most obvious route thanks!

Removed User 18 Jul 2018
In reply to maybe_si:

> Just checked your suggestion on a map, seems like the most obvious route thanks!

Thanks, just surprised nobody else had mentioned it. Glad to be of help.

Drum isn't an unpleasant rest spot, with a shelter and good views

Post edited at 21:03
 mbh 18 Jul 2018
In reply to maybe_si:

Car to end of road from Aber. Walk from there to Llyn Anafon along the track, then find your own way straight up to the saddle, from whence along to Foel Fras. Worked for us. We camped at the lake then set off again at 3am. Came back afterwards for the camping stuff.

In reply to maybe_si:

The best way is to park at 676716 and walk the whole ridge on the north side of Afon Anafon from Foel Dduarth. It's a lovely ridge walk but not the easiest/quickest way.

Post edited at 21:31
In reply to maybe_si:

Just to put a few rough estimated figures on the possible routes to Foel Fras:

Bwlch y ddeufaen (N approach via Drum)  dist 5km, tot ascent 570m. (Easy nav on path with wall/fence handrail; can reduce ascent a little by contouring round Drum but it's not worth it)

Bwlch y gaer (NW approach via indistinct gradual ascending path towards Carnedd uchaf, then back to Foel Fras) 6km; 580m

Eigiau carpark (various routes) appx 7-9km, 600m

Cwm Anafon ascent (from top carpark via llyn; Steep bit all at the end) 6km, 742m

Bronydd Isaf (North East approach past Moel Wnion; very limited on road parking but very close to A55) 7.5km; 762m.

Gerlan (East Approach from above Bethesda via Gyrn Wigau) 8km; 762m

Track on N side of Foel ganol (from Anafon carpark), up to Drum (Easy gradual track ascent to Drum) 8km; 790m.

Aber Falls carpark (via Afon goch) 5.5km; 840m

Aber falls carpark (via Llwytmor) 6km; 915m.

Post edited at 00:10
OP maybe_si 19 Jul 2018
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

That's great thanks, looks like the first  option is a bit of a no brainer! 

OP maybe_si 19 Jul 2018
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

You seem pretty knowledgable, I don't suppose you have a rough timing schedule for a N-S 3000 round do you? Aiming for 12hrs summit to summit.

Mike Peacock 19 Jul 2018
In reply to Vanessa Simmons:

> The best way is to park at 676716 and walk the whole ridge on the north side of Afon Anafon from Foel Dduarth. It's a lovely ridge walk but not the easiest/quickest way.

That is one of my favourite not-very-well-known Snowdonian routes. It is really lovely.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...