What a day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fmck 07 Feb 2021

I was totally gobsmacked today. We took the kids out the hills out the back of Largs Ayrshire today. People were  snow boarding, skiing and sledging all over the place. I talked to a guy snow shoeing down and another that said "Feck there's 3 feet snow up there.  These hills barely make marlyn  status. I don't think I will see this again in my lifetime.

It looked like the Caingorms!

aln 07 Feb 2021
In reply to fmck:

Winter climbing on the Quadrocks??? 

OP fmck 07 Feb 2021
In reply to aln:

Noo. that happened before with "traverse and big corner" Bad boys training in the 90s.

veteye 07 Feb 2021
In reply to fmck:

Lucky  buggers.

Enjoy it.

Flinticus 08 Feb 2021
In reply to fmck:

You get an envious downvote. I've seen vids & pics on Instagram from some outdoors people.

Are The Campsies within 5 miles of Glasgow LA??

Gone for good 08 Feb 2021
In reply to fmck:

It must be fantastic up Misty Law and Irish Law. 

skog 08 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

> Are The Campsies within 5 miles of Glasgow LA??

No, but your walk only has to start and end within 5 miles of your council area - you could park by Mugdock Reservoirs and walk from there. Or just cycle from your doorstep, make it a cycling and walking trip.

skog 08 Feb 2021
In reply to fmck:

Sounds great. Pictures, please!

kend 08 Feb 2021
In reply to fmck:

Similar conditions on Birnam Hill at the moment. Went up with my daughters yesterday and really struggled to get to the top - they were regularly sinking up to their hips. A bloke behind us gave up and turned back down the hill.

Post edited at 11:21
 Flinticus 08 Feb 2021
In reply to skog:

> No, but your walk only has to start and end within 5 miles of your council area - you could park by Mugdock Reservoirs and walk from there. Or just cycle from your doorstep, make it a cycling and walking trip.

Thanks, Skog

I've been out to the Drumclog Moor car park a few weekends and walked to the Carbeth Huts. If this lockdown continues much more I'll certainly then look to routes to the Campsies, though it may be a big day out when you add in walking time on the actual hills and then back

BuzyG 08 Feb 2021
In reply to fmck:

If it's local to you and safe, then get out there and enjoy it.  You lucky sods.   Not so much as a snowflake here in Cornwall. Sun's out though.

malky_c 08 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Strathblane is pretty much bang on 5 miles from the Allander Toll roundabout near Milngavie, which is where you leave Glasgow. I'm sure you could do a handful of good routes from there. I looked at it briefly when I thought I'd have to go back to Glasgow....

Going West, you leave Glasgow round about Drumry on the A82, which means that the Kilpatrick Braes are within 5 mile reach as well.

Dave Hewitt 08 Feb 2021
In reply to fmck:

The Ochils - above 450m or so - have more snow on them than for a good few years, and with the easterlies having been blowing for a couple of weeks now it's creating some interesting spectacles. The top of the Law yesterday had - and almost certainly still does have - a two-metre fin of snow overtopping the cairn, sort of a vertical cornice. I've never seen it like that before. It's a substantial thing - I walked over it without fear of falling through and the western leeward side was completely sheltered - I'd have stopped there for lunch had it been the last summit rather than the first. The fences along the main ridge are generally buried up to the top wire. Folk out skiing quite a lot, although it's maybe a bit glassy for that just now - was better a week or so ago. It could do with the east wind switching off, though - it's been feeling pretty relentless even at village level on the eastern side of Stirling.

OP fmck 10 Feb 2021
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

With the snow blowing over onto West faces and drifting and now sun. We got the biggest avalanche on Kaim hill on Largs I have ever seen. It really was quite noticeable how big it was from a couple of miles away at our work. Reached quite a distance down the hill.

DR 11 Feb 2021
In reply to malky_c:

Not quite. You have to go through East Dunbartonshire from Glasgow City Council area to then get into Stirlingshire to get to Strathblane and the Campsies. I live in Maryhill half a mile away from the City Council boundary and it is 8 miles by road to Strathblane. Am I not going to drive to Strathblane for a walk in the Campsies because it is more than 5 miles outside my area? Frankly of course I'm not and this illustrates the massive inequity of the don't leave your council area or go more than 5 miles into another for those of us who live in small urban council areas. 

I wish I could go out today as it is a bluebird day but I bust my achilles on a snow run 2 days ago so am confined to barracks anyway. Grrrrr...

Davie

Dave Hewitt 11 Feb 2021
In reply to DR:

> I wish I could go out today as it is a bluebird day but I bust my achilles on a snow run 2 days ago so am confined to barracks anyway. Grrrrr...

Hope that clears up soon - sounds sore. I had a near-miss injury-wise yesterday - managed to fall over in crampons, not sure when I last did that. Had been on Dumyat (didn't really need them there to be honest, but was fancying a big boots outing for the first time in a year) and kept the crampons on for the walk down the quite steep road back to Logie Kirk, as there was compacted snow. Should have taken them off really but got nattering with a couple of blokes who were heading down the same way and next thing I knew I was flying forwards. Don't think I caught the crampons on each other, more on some hidden bramble or something. Could easily have hurt myself quite badly but seem to have got away with it. Felt a bit silly though.

DR 11 Feb 2021
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

Thanks Dave. It seems like I have a chronic problem with my right achilles. Tuesday was only my fourth run since 6 December and first since 4 January but weeks of rest don't seem to do any good as it flares up straight away. Walking is OK but I can't even get to any hills other than the Campsies to keep my fitness up... I was really getting back into the fell running back in the Autumn and had some great days in the Ochils. Repeats of those are a long way off, both in terms of health and continuing lockdown...

Davie

malky_c 11 Feb 2021
In reply to DR:

Ah, but if you go out via Balmore road and the shortcut past Bardowie Loch/Baldernock rather than  through the middle of Milngavie, then Strathblane village is pretty much exactly 5 miles from the Glasgow boundary by road (granted you do go through East Dunbartonshire as well). I doubt it matters in reality which way you actually drive there so long as you don’t get stopped....

Hope your injury heals soon - Campsies are looking magnificent in some of the photos I have seen.

BuzyG 11 Feb 2021
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

> Hope that clears up soon - sounds sore. I had a near-miss injury-wise yesterday - managed to fall over in crampons, not sure when I last did that. Had been on Dumyat (didn't really need them there to be honest, but was fancying a big boots outing for the first time in a year) and kept the crampons on for the walk down the quite steep road back to Logie Kirk, as there was compacted snow. Should have taken them off really but got nattering with a couple of blokes who were heading down the same way and next thing I knew I was flying forwards. Don't think I caught the crampons on each other, more on some hidden bramble or something. Could easily have hurt myself quite badly but seem to have got away with it. Felt a bit silly though.

That is where micro spikes come into there own. Glad to here you were just embarest.  Take that any day over an injury.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...