West Highland Way next week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stayfreejc 09 Feb 2018

Hi all. I am new to this forum, although I have a been an active member on UKC for years as I was heavily into rock climbing. Due to kids and work I have stopped climbing and want to start back packing again. I completed the West Highland Way 12 years ago in March with my then girlfriend but want to have another go solo and sleeping only in a tent. I have not walked long distance for a while but I have a decent base fitness and quite a lot of past experience rock climbing and hill walking. I have planned to start walking the route on Sunday the 18th February. I guess I am just looking for some tips from people who have done it in the winter with only a tent for shelter. I no it will be very uncomfortable and cold but I have quite good mental stamina and can cope with a decent amount of punishment before giving up. For the people who have done the route this way, was it horrendous? When I did it in March it was not to bad but I only camped two of the 6 nights so I had chance to warm up and have proper dinners. Any stories or advice from people who have done the route at this time of year would be great. Cheers  

In reply to stayfreejc:

As ever, I suspect the enjoyableness versus suffering will be a lot to do with the weather. This article might be generally helpful - Ten Top Tips for Winter Camping:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/skills/top_tips_for_winter_camping-9...

OP stayfreejc 09 Feb 2018
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Excellent, thanks for that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...