NEW ROUTE CARD: West Highland Way 5: Bridge of Orchy - Kings House Hotel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Blackrock Cottage and The Buachaille, 3 kbCrossing a corner of Rannoch Moor at the foot of the majestic Black Mount range, this stage is one of the best bits of the WHW. For the first time on the trail (for those heading north) the wild surroundings give the impression of really entering the west Highlands proper. The moor is uniquely impressive, a desolate expanse of peat ringed (at a distance) by mountains. The WHW follows the course of an old military road here, a long leg where the lack of shelter will be noticed on a windswept day. Fast teams might combine this leg with stage 6 to Kinlochleven, but pub fans will probably want to break the route with an evening in the Kingshouse.

12.15 miles, 19.55 km, 491m ascent, 4 – 6 hours. Oban or Fort William

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=324
David Bannion 28 Feb 2012
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

This was one of my favourite sections of the Way although the memory is fading fast as i completed it at the ripe old age of 17.There is probably the smallest pub i have quaffed a pint in at the side of a Hotel near Victoria bridge if i recall correctly.Yes a hazy summers evening,purple heather no cars or proper roads,a carefree dragonfly,chatting up some bucksome fillies before staggering around in the darkness to find our tent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...