Welsh 3 Peaks. Aran Fawddwy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ric keeling 23 Sep 2020

In order to complete the Welsh 3 Peaks challenge you need to walk up Snowdon, Pen y Fan and Cadair Idris. Why isn't Aran Fawddwy classed as the highest in Mid Wales?

ianstevens 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Ric keeling:

Because like Cadair, AF is also in North Wales. Really you should be going up Pumlumon Fawr if you want to the "highest in mid Wales". 

Post edited at 09:40
 ebdon 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Ric keeling:

I guess like the Yorkshire 3 peaks it's not about the highest it's about an arbitrary selection of aesthetic hills.

In reply to Ric keeling:

Because it's an arbitrary list? Also, if you want a hillwalking challenge, why not do something that doesn't involve loads of driving? A traverse of cader and the arans from tywyn to llanuwchllyn would be pretty exciting.

agarnham 23 Sep 2020
In reply to pancakeandchips:

The Welsh 3000's come to mind;

https://www.welsh3000s.co.uk/

OP Ric keeling 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Ric keeling:

"The Welsh Three Peaks Challenge is typically made up of three of the highest and most iconic mountains in Wales: Snowdon, Wales’ tallest peak and the highest point in Britain outside the Scottish highlands; Cader Idris, a spectacular peak at the southerly edge of Snowdonia National Park ; and Pen y Fan, the highest peak in the Brecon Beacons National Park in South Wales."

Re-read the description. thanks all for the response. I guess AF isn't as exciting as CI

OP Ric keeling 23 Sep 2020
In reply to agarnham:

doing that next summer. looking forward to it.

Myfyr Tomos 23 Sep 2020
In reply to Ric keeling:

Hey! Leave the honeypots alone, they are doing a super job. Aran Fawddwy has been an oasis of tranquility this summer compared to Cadair Idris - let's keep it that way.

I agree Ian, I consider Cadair and Aran Fawddwy/Benllyn to be North Wales mountains with Mid Wales starting south of Afon Dyfi but as Ric stated, it's iconic status rather than geographical accuracy that counts. 

In reply to Ric keeling:

The three peaks challenge also typically consists of trudging up the llanberis path and then the pony path. There's much better ways to get to the top of these two lovely mountains.

GerM 23 Sep 2020

Cycle in-between. Still doable in a day.

In reply to GerM:

I'm not a cyclist, but Google maps says that's 15 hours of pedalling, and for a fit walker time spent on the hills would probably be 6-7 hours. So yes, doable in under 24 hours, but it would take a level of athleticism I haven't noticed in the groups I've seen setting out from Ty Nant. It also seems like more of a cycling challenge than a hillwalking one.

Red Rover 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Definately. The first rule of Aran Fawddwy club...

GerM 24 Sep 2020

Google tends to overestimate biking times and send you on the slower routes, but it still ends up being more riding than walking, I reckon about 2/3 of the time cycling and 1/3 walking. Either way better a cycling challenge than a driving challenge surely.

ianstevens 24 Sep 2020

Do you need to do it in 24 hours? Would be very enjoyable spread over say three days. Walk up a hill, cycle to the vicinity of the next one, stay over, repeat. 

Edit to add: pretty much universally great cycling and great walking. Even at a elusively pace I’d say a keen Walker would get up and down most of those three hills in 3-4 hours

Post edited at 12:24
 ianstevens 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

Ssshhhhh - otherwise the masses will find out about the Rhinogydd and Arenig too. 

Qwertilot 24 Sep 2020
In reply to ianstevens:

Or the Dyfi hills, Or....

I found a suggestion in an old John Hillaby book of walking down from Prestatyn, then pulling W to the coast at Barmouth. Only takes 5 seconds with a map to see how well the various ridges & hill groups align! Made for a lovely holiday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...