Welsh 3000s - descent route from Drum

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Y Gribin 21 Feb 2018

I am planning a Welsh 3000s in a couple of months. I am just trying to work out the best descent from Drum. Our support vehicle will be at the small car park (SH 676 716) above Abergwyngregyn.

Is it best to follow the landrover track that meanders northwards, and then behind Foel-ganol or is there a path down to Llyn Anafon (there isn't one on the map) which can then join the valley path through Afon Anafon?

I appreciate it's a niche question but I thought someone might know!

rockcatch 21 Feb 2018
In reply to Y Gribin:

It’s possible to get down to Llyn Anafon even though there isn’t a path. It’s basically a steep grassy slope where some care may be needed to avoid twisting an ankle when tired. The landrover track is a longer route, and quite monotonous after the 15 peaks, but is straight forward. 

OP Y Gribin 21 Feb 2018
In reply to rockcatch:

Ah great, many thanks - is that a pretty much direct line to the lake from the summit (it'll be getting dark by then)? That sounds like my preference.

ben b 21 Feb 2018
In reply to Y Gribin:

The track is much easier to follow, and much better underfoot, than the direct descent in the dark at the end of a long day. I've gone up that way when going N>S but am pretty sure coming down there at the end would be more of an embuggerance.

There's also a handy small car park further east, accessible from the Conwy side of the valley, down by the Rowen turn-off. This is closest to the end of the traverse.

Don't do what we did and accidentally lock the car keys in the car (with the headlights on); smashing the window on your new car to get back in at the end of an otherwise brilliant day wasn't really the highlight!

b

Wiley Coyote2 21 Feb 2018
In reply to Y Gribin:

The direct descent is a bugger to find on a clear day, sometimes it seems to be there and sometimes not. In the dusk/dark I imagine it would be impossible to find or follow. Grit your teeth and take the Landrover track. It feels like it goes on for ever but it is by far the easier and safer option

rockcatch 22 Feb 2018
In reply to Y Gribin:

> Ah great, many thanks - is that a pretty much direct line to the lake from the summit (it'll be getting dark by then)? That sounds like my preference.

It’s possible to head directly down from the summit of Drum, or more diagonally from the low point between Foel Fras and Drum. As others have said it will be more difficult in the dark. Realistically it’s a make your own route with no actual path on the ground until you reach the lake, from where it becomes easy. 

llechwedd 22 Feb 2018
In reply to rockcatch:

15 peaks. LOL

malky_c 22 Feb 2018
In reply to rockcatch:

Maybe the years of plugging across pathless heather in Scotland have altered my judgement, but I thought the traces of path down to Anafon were reasonably easy to spot actually (was up there last September).

Post edited at 09:41
 Rob Laird 22 Feb 2018
In reply to ben b:

This is good to know as I'll be attempting this in the summer

Mike Peacock 22 Feb 2018
In reply to malky_c:

Agreed. It's been a while but I always found the descent to Llyn Anafon (starting at the col between Foel Fras and Drum) relatively straightforward. Admittedly in the dark I'd rather stick to the landrover track.

Here's a rather old photo of the descent

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikepeacock/3599591161/

Post edited at 10:58
 mypyrex 22 Feb 2018
In reply to Y Gribin:

If it's some consolation if you choose to descend direct to Llyn Anafon then the track from thereon is a doddle; in fact I find it easier underfoot than the Landrover track from Drum.

I suppose it's swings and roundabouts.

Post edited at 16:36
 Tim Davies 22 Feb 2018
In reply to Y Gribin:

How about heading straight over llwytmor? Nice surface to descend on, then a v rapid descent to aber falls and an easy trg to the car park. 

Otherwise, I'd arrange collection at the high car park above rowen. Going to Aber always seems a flog at the end of the day (or go N-S) 

mbh 22 Feb 2018
In reply to Y Gribin:

When we did it NS we started in the dark/half dark from Llyn Anafon and headed up to the saddle between Drum and Foel Fras. I don't remember that there was a path. We just picked a line as we went and made our way up without much difficulty, as I recall (from 2013).

From the lake to the end of the road after Aber it's an easy track.

gali 22 Feb 2018
In reply to mbh:

Drum foel fras col to llyn anafon is the best bet. Bit rough to the llyn but fast descent to aber top car park then 

OP Y Gribin 24 Feb 2018
In reply to Y Gribin:

Many thanks everyone

andyd1970 24 Feb 2018
In reply to Y Gribin:

Doing it next weekend over 2 days but from North to South.

Done it a few times in summer but gonna do the in Winter ?? 

OP Y Gribin 03 Mar 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

I'm guessing weather caused you to postpone? If not, I'd be interested to hear how you got on!

andyd1970 03 Mar 2018
In reply to Y Gribin:

Yes due to the beast from the east we had to cancel ????

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...