Watkins footwear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Rook 08 Oct 2018

I'm heading over to Snowdon in a couple of weeks, thinking about taking the Watkins path specifically, and was leaning towards hiking/approach shoes. Something like the Salewa Firetail 3 or Scarpa Zen Pro. 

I know there have been a fair number of "correct footwear" posts, but I couldn't find one specifically for the Watkins path (or any path with some scree).

I went in to a hiking shop today and the chap there was adamant that neither of these have strong enough soles or sufficient ankle support for the scree bit in particular. Would boots be a better way to go? 

I don't have weak ankles, though my knees have seen better days...

Cheers,

tehmarks 08 Oct 2018
In reply to Rook:

I'm sure this will be a controversial opinion, but I think ankle support is a bit of a red herring. I walk almost exclusively in trail running shoes these days, and if anything I feel I'm less likely to go over on my ankle because they're less clunky and give me more confidence walking. Boots just seem to encourage weak ankles, which I'd say is more of an issue than having supportive footwear. If you have weak ankles you won't have any natural stability.

I sprained my ankle quite badly on the walk-in to a route in the Calanques a few years ago, and I honestly feel that if I'd been wearing boots I wouldn't have sprained my ankle...I'd have broken it instead.

That said, I'm not speaking from any position of authority or knowledge.

Rook 08 Oct 2018
In reply to tehmarks:

Thanks - that's pretty much the gist of what I'm reading on other threads. I just wasn't sure whether that applied to trails with clear paths and not those with a bit of scree. 

I think there's a bit at the end of the Watkins where there's some loose rock, so wanted to know whether regular hiking shoes would hold up. 

girlymonkey 09 Oct 2018
In reply to Rook:

I'm firmly in the approach shoes camp, however it depends a little on how deep the scree is. Boots do keep it out better than shoes. If you are going for shoes, maybe get some trail running gaiters too.

I destroyed my ankle badly enough in boots that I then needed all my ligaments reconstructed. Boots don't stop ankle injuries, strong ankles do! 

Tim Davies 09 Oct 2018
In reply to Rook:it’s only the last 20 minutes uphill that’s a bit rocky and loose. They’ll hold up. 

toad 09 Oct 2018
In reply to Rook:

This time of year the weather plays a big part. Middle of this week you could probably get away with sandals!  its looking warm and dry so approach shoes would be fine. There's an outside chance you might need 4 season boots at the end of October. Snow is unusual but not unknown.

Make a decision on the day based on conditions

Billhook 09 Oct 2018
In reply to Rook:

You could probably do it in high heels.  Good luck.

GrahamD 09 Oct 2018
In reply to Rook:

This depends on how happy you are in approach shoes on moderately loose rocky ground.  Personally I prefer the higher cuffs on boots (if nothing else, there is less chance of getting annoying little pebbles in your shoes) but , if it was dry and all I had were my approach shoes, I'd be happy enough to wear those instead.

The main thing as always is comfort and fit.

In reply to Rook:

Another vote for "whatever you're used to" - boots are fine but I usually use approach/fell running shoes. 

P.s. "Watkin Path", not Watkins. 

Rook 09 Oct 2018

Excellent! Reassuring to know that I should be fine in approach shoes.  Now,  hopefully the weather's decent.

Thank you all! Appreciate the quick replies.

Jungle_153 10 Oct 2018
In reply to Rook:

I tend to walk in trail shoes (without a GorTex liner) on most terrain, I've never had any issues with ankle support. I fact, from personal experience, I suffer less knee pain on decents as my foot can move more freely without the higher ankle support. I tend to reach for boots when it gets above mildy moist / soggy and also for winter conditions, obviously.

Dave B 10 Oct 2018
In reply to Jungle_153

I agree. 

I find it much easier to move gracefully in shoes than boots, especially inin the mountains. Boots for damp.

T38 13 Oct 2018
In reply to Rook:

You should be fine in trail shoes if you're used to hiking in them. If not your ankles might be a bit sore after. I've started using salomon speedcross trail shoes, the grip is better than those on my salomon boots (4D quest).

Post edited at 17:30
 Alkis 13 Oct 2018
In reply to Rook:

I've been up it in Boulder X approach shoes a few times and never had a problem. Of course, what you are used to will be safest but in terms of the actual sole, there's nothing on the Watkins that requires boots, in my opinion.

benp1 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Rook:

I came down it after tagging the horseshoe onto the end of the Welsh 3k. It was surprisingly steep and tricky to come down. I did it in light boots but most of my walking is in trail/approach shoes and I would have happily done it in those

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...