Water filtration

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Garston 08 Apr 2021

Hi all you helpful people,

I am after some advice on a water filter system to enable me to fill up from a stream but then to have the filtered water available for eg a pot noodle rather than having to suck it from a straw?

Thank you

crayefish 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Garston:

I use a tube of iodine crystals which works excellently but I only use clear, fresh streams. For dirtier, I guess you'd need a proper filter.

Basemetal 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Garston:

A system like a Sawyer Mini filter lets you scoop up 'dirty' water in, say, a Flexi litre bottle, then squeeze it thro the filter into a pot to use. The Sawyer has threads to fit the common PET bottle cap threads so old pop bottles work fine too.

EDIT: Ha! double posted with Andy... GMTA.

Post edited at 21:45
 Andy Manthorpe 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Garston:

My Sawyer Mini weighs 39g, the pouch 22g, syringe to back flush it 30g and the straw 2g.

https://sawyer.com/products/mini-filter/

bouldery bits 08 Apr 2021
In reply to Garston:

I have an MSR mini works which is great for refilling water containers if you're out for a few days. 

If you just want something light, I'd perhaps look at the MSR trail shot.

Although, if I were boiling clear running water, I probably wouldn't bother with the filter. 

BB

In reply to Garston:

Have a look at Travel Tap products.   You can fill one of the bottles up from a stream then squirt it out through the filter for cooking.

http://www.drinksafe-systems.co.uk/products.php

UKH Forums 08 Apr 2021
This thread was started in the HILLTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Climbing Gear
Post all your climbing gear-related questions here. You know how you love comparing Friends with Camalots!

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/info/forums.html
 Basemetal 09 Apr 2021
In reply to UKH Forums:

I wouldn't have looked for a water filter discussion in climbing gear, would you? 

galpinos 09 Apr 2021
In reply to the thread:

So, Sawyer Mini or MSR Trail shot? Which one and why......

lboutside 09 Apr 2021
In reply to Garston:

As others have said, Sawyer Mini is good as is the Sawyer Squeeze, if you don't want the faff of backflushing, are planning on using it in subzero temps and are worried about any moisture freezing inside the filter thus rendering it useless or only plan to use a filter occasionally rather than every time you're on trail then a Kayadyn BeFree could a good shout, though the obvious downsides are price, it won't fit on a standard bottle and the filter life is only 1000 liters (still a lot but in comparison to the Sawyer Mini's supposed lifespan of 378,541 liters it's not as "bang for your buck")

Personally I have both the Mini and the BeFree, the flow rate on the BeFree is far superior and if I'm out for the day/going for as light as possible that's my go to filter, if I'm out for multiple days though the versatility of the Mini is usually worth the faff of backflushing just because I know it would go on any plastic bottle if mine breaks or gets lost for some reason.

Basemetal 09 Apr 2021
In reply to lboutside:

I've had a Sawyer Mini for a few years, though it gets used less in winter. In summer I only backflush it after about a week's use (or equivalent) or when I get home before I store it, so don't usually carry the syringe. It hasn't ever clogged.

lboutside 09 Apr 2021
In reply to Basemetal:

> I've had a Sawyer Mini for a few years, though it gets used less in winter. In summer I only backflush it after about a week's use (or equivalent) or when I get home before I store it, so don't usually carry the syringe. It hasn't ever clogged.

Oh absolutely, I've not had an issue with it either which is why I still have both. But with the katadyn there's no need to backflush at all (at the cost of lifespan and quids) and the flowrate is better by far. If you're in a hurry there really isn't any beating it. If someone only wanted the one filter to do it all though I agree, the Sawyer is probably where I'd spend my money too, it is by far the more versatile of the two filters I currently own.

Basemetal 09 Apr 2021
In reply to lboutside:

I'd like to be using any one of them more than I have been recently!

ScraggyGoat 09 Apr 2021

You're unlikely to clog a filter in a UK mountain environment, though backflushing probably increase the lifespan, overseas back-flushing can be very useful.

Mini-filters are good for a couple of litres , but if you are going to be filtering more something a bit larger is more convenient

Justaname 09 Apr 2021
In reply to Garston:

I'd be more concerned about the Pot Noodle than the dodgy water

Tringa 10 Apr 2021
In reply to Justaname:

> I'd be more concerned about the Pot Noodle than the dodgy water

Me too.

Dave

PaulJepson 10 Apr 2021
In reply to Garston:

I have and endorse the Platypus Gravity Works. 

Similar to the other things mentioned. Mine came with a cap that screws right on to a nalgene so I can filter straight from colection bag to bottle. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...