Wainwrights coast to coast ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 30 Jun 2019

I haven't done it and I'm helping some friends plan the coast to coast , they are going to do st bees to enerdale where I'll pick them up at the end of the day and drop them off in the morning as I live close by . I'll drop them where ever I've picked them up and after that they are wondering about day stages to do it in 9 days. I m assuming a few people on here have done it . Could you list your day stages and where you stayed each night ( a comment about good/ bad accommodation would also be helpful ) . They want to go lite weight and not camp . Hostels and B and B s. Links to any recent blogs will be helpful to. Thanks in advance 

Pedro50 30 Jun 2019
In reply to mike123:

9 days total if that's what you mean is quite a push. We took 12 (average 16 miles per day.) However we camped so I can't help much with accommodation. I imagine trying to book suitable places for 8-9 consecutive nights would be the hardest problem, it is extremely popular. 

y ddraig fach 30 Jun 2019
In reply to mike123:

I haven't done the Coast to Coast, but recently completed the Wainwright Memorial Walk which follows a similar route to the C2C in a couple of places.

I'd definitely recommend Beech House on the edge of Glenridding (http://www.beechhouse.com). I was the only person staying there who was not doing the C2C. Lovely cooked breakfast, packed lunches with home made brownie or flapjack available at a small extra cost, good wifi. Accepts baggage transfers (not that I used it, but pretty everyone else had). 

I also stayed at the Glenthorne Guest House in Grasmere, but suspect that it would fall between stages if your friends want to do it 9 days. It's a Quaker place, but about a third of the people staying there when I did were C2Cers. Great drying room, good wifi, and tea and cake available in the lounge if you arrive 4pm(ish). Breakfast possibly served a little late for walkers with a long day ahead of them (this didn't matter for me as only had final 8km of the walk to Ambleside to do). Again, accepts baggage transfers. 

Post edited at 21:46
OP mike123 01 Jul 2019
In reply to mike123:

thanks both of the above, I will pass this on. anybody got a schedule for 9 / 10 days ?

Post edited at 08:50
 themuppet 01 Jul 2019
In reply to mike123:

I roughly followed this schedule mostly wild camping with a few campsites too. Did it  in 10 days with longest day about 30 miles.

St Bees -  Ennerdale - Rosthwaite - Patterdale - Shap - Kirkby Stephen - Reeth - Bolton on Swale - Osmotherley - Glaisdale - Robin Hoods Bay

HTH

dan_the_dingo 01 Jul 2019
In reply to mike123:

Not quite 9/10 days, mine was 11 listed below, although I was at Robin Hood's Bay for lunch on the last day.  It was about 10 years ago, I'd need to dig out the photos to work out the exact legs but the list is close enough but I was carrying a tent but didn't use it every night, even bivvied in a cave one night, just kept walking each day till I fancied stopping and either camped or found somewhere to stay.

Day 1: St Bees-Ennerdale

Day 2: to Easdale Gill nr Grasmere

Day 3: to nr Haweswater

Day 4: to Orton

Day 5: to Kirby Stephen

Day 6: to between Gunnerside & Reeth

Day 7: to Catterick Bridge

Day 8: to nr Ingleby Cross

Day 9: to the Lion Inn, Blakey

Day 10: to nr Littlebeck

Day 11: to Robin Hood's Bay

Pedro50 01 Jul 2019
In reply to mike123:

Of the numerous guide books available I would highly recommend the Trailblazer one for accommodation and recommended daily itineraries. 

OP mike123 01 Jul 2019
In reply to all : brilliant. thanks

Medleysdad 01 Jul 2019

Done it twice.  9 days would be a massive challenge. Very fit and very fast walkers only. Wainwright’s guide gives very good distance tables and Trailblazer is best guide for the nuts and bolts. If planning this year you are too late as all accommodations will be booked up. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...