Van parking in Snowdonia.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 18 Mar 2019

Any suggestions for where I can safely and unobtrusively park a van for one or two nights whilst I do the Paddy Buckley Round?

I haven't decided where I'll start yet but obviously it will be somewhere it crosses a road so looking for suggestions in Llanberis, Capel Curig, Nantmor, Pont Cae'r Gors or Llyn Ogwen.

The van would be empty for the night I'm on the round and depending on how I feel at the end I might just collapse in it for that night!

Cheers.

spenser 18 Mar 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

There's a big layby on the side of Llyn Ogwen which people often van camp in, apparently people have been a bit lax with where they bury/ don't bury their poo staying there so you will need to be careful to deal with it properly.

OP DaveHK 18 Mar 2019
In reply to spenser:

Cheers for the suggestion. I'm pretty au fait with minimum impact camping!

ChrisJD 18 Mar 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

The Tyn-Y-Coed near Capel has a big car park, perhaps give them a call and ask if you can park it there.

Mick53 18 Mar 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

You can park in the car park of the Siabod Cafe in Capel Curig.

£5 per night I believe, there’s usually a few campers and vans parked there so reasonably safe and secure.

In reply to DaveHK:

There are a few places on or very near to the route - I've left my car over night (or slept in it) at most of them without any problems.

Capel has the carpark behind Joe Browns store directly on the route, as well as the Siabod caffi and Tyn y coed carparks mentioned above which are 600m/1200m off the route E on the A5, or the layby between the two halves of llynau mymbyr 600m W. 

Ogwen has several large lay-bys along the lake that are regularly used for overnight stays. 

Llanberis is more awkward, but a more likely spot would be the Bus Stop Quarry area in Dinorwic - an easy 500m off the route as it passes through the slate quarries. 

There's a secluded carpark in the forest, about 600m South of where the route crosses the A4085 SW of Snowdon (Pont Cae'r gors). 

The carpark marked in the map at Nantmor is a National Trust one and I don't know but it may be more of an issue for long/over night stays, especially if not a NT member.

There is also a small carpark in Croesor (I haven't been to that one).

Roadrunner6 19 Mar 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

In Beddgel forest car park, its just down the track from where the paddy crosses through.

You could even leave it at the entrance where you cross tbh. Up at the quarries above Llanberis.

OP DaveHK 19 Mar 2019
In reply to All:

That's great folks, plenty of options there. Ta.

Gone for good 19 Mar 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Good luck and hope you get the weather !!  

OP DaveHK 19 Mar 2019
In reply to Gone for good:

It's not till August, just doing some early planning!

Jenny C 19 Mar 2019
In reply to ChrisJD:

> The Tyn-Y-Coed near Capel has a big car park, perhaps give them a call and ask if you can park it there.

Short walk down the road Dolgam campsite charged £6 a night (last time I stayed there) with hard standing and hot showers. Site is in full view of the farmhouse so I'm pretty sure your van would be well looked after.

Post edited at 07:58
OP DaveHK 19 Mar 2019
In reply to Jenny C:

> Short walk down the road Dolgam campsite charged £6 a night (last time I stayed there) with hard standing and hot showers. 

That sounds ideal for the nights before and after.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...