Unfamiliar view of the Cairngorms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 john irving 30 Dec 2021

BBC pictures of Scotland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59699194

Picture of "The Cairngorms" from a flight.

I can't work out which hills are in the picture. Can anyone enlighten me?

Lankyman 30 Dec 2021
In reply to john irving:

Not sure but there's a hill near the upper left margin that has a cup-shaped corrie. It might be Cairn Toul? The closer hills look very like the rolling stuff further south in the Tilt/Tarf region. They'd be harder to pin down.

Robert Durran 30 Dec 2021
In reply to john irving:

I agee with Lankyman. It is looking a little north of east. The Central Cairngorms are upper left with the most prominent dark ridge being Carn a'Mhaim I think. I'm not certain whether the "cupped shape coire" is on Cairn Toul or Ben Macdhui (neither quite makes sense and I suspect it is less cup shaped than the light picking it out suggests. The valley on the left is the upper Tilt/Geldie and the distant one the Dee with the Tilt running off right. The dark valley in the foreground is Glen Bruar. with Beinn Dearg just behind it.

Post edited at 11:31
 Scomuir 30 Dec 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

Agree.  You can see the Devils Point in the sun over the col between Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain, with the shaded North ridge of Carn A' Mhaim behind it.

Post edited at 11:34
OP john irving 31 Dec 2021
In reply to john irving:

Cheers all. I had identified some of the same shapes in the main Cairngorms, but it never quite snapped into shape. I have not been up Glen Bruar before. Time to Get Ben Bhreac onto the done list

Happy New Year

In reply to john irving:

> Cheers all. I had identified some of the same shapes in the main Cairngorms, but it never quite snapped into shape. I have not been up Glen Bruar before. Time to Get Ben Bhreac onto the done list

> Happy New Year

Beinn Bhreac was my penultimate Corbett. Did it the day before my compleation. Ran from Old Bridge of Tilt to Glen Feshie. Met no one.

Happy New Year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...