UK scrambling grades vs. UIAA

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bjoe 02 Aug 2019

Hello,

I'm very comfortable with grade I and II scrambles in the UK and travelling soon to the Dolomites. How do the UIAA grades (Specifically I and II) compare with the UK scrambling grades?

Thanks

ScottTalbot 03 Aug 2019
In reply to bjoe:

If the UK grades are on Grit, they're harder... 😉

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. 😊

lewis.m 03 Aug 2019
In reply to bjoe:

Hey,

Just back from the Dolomites and I reckon UIAA 1/2 is pretty similar to grade 1/2 and maybe 3 scrambling. Only consideration is that you can be doing technically easy stuff in very big exposed positions.

McHeath 03 Aug 2019
In reply to bjoe:

The official UIAA verbal definitions are:

Grade I: Minor difficulties. Easiest form of rock climbing (not easy walking terrain!). The hands are necessary to help stay in balance. Beginners must be led on a rope. A good head for heights is necessary.

Grade II: Moderate difficulties. Climbing with simple hand- and foothold combinations (technique using three points of contact).

Hope this helps! 

Edit: typo 

Post edited at 13:29
 McHeath 03 Aug 2019
In reply to McHeath:

No idea why I got a dislike for that; it's a 1:1 translation from the UIAA site. Nothing added, nothing taken away. You're welcome, whoever it was. 

mysterion 05 Aug 2019
In reply to bjoe:

As I recall it the top walking grade feels like Grade 1, UIAA I feels like Grade 2, UIAA II feels like Grade 3

Offwidth 06 Aug 2019
In reply to McHeath:

The dislike button delights a small number of willful children, and the occasional malcontent, bully and stalker, so just ignore it and if necessary remove it from view (on the new user option the site has kindly provided on the link below). I hope one day the site will allow us to hover over the indicator and see those who used it  (identified and reasoned karma on UKB makes discussions there loads more civilised with fewer constraints and needs minimal moderation; 'tit for tat' responses are also actively discouraged there which cuts a good bit of the crap on politics threads ). Expose the buggers with childish or bad intent and the site will improve and save on moderation time.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/user/options.php#favourite

Post edited at 11:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...