Tyndrum Highlands. Food Shops!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gimmergimmer 27 Apr 2022

I will be arriving in Tyndrum in the Highlands late on a weekday by train.  Is there a shop for food supplies to take with me on the  hill-sandwiches, chocolates etc (open late or early next day?) Apologies for this  not being the most exciting question -but my stomach will be grateful.

Post edited at 18:31
 Jamie Hageman 27 Apr 2022
In reply to gimmergimmer:

Just the Green Welly Stop I think - should be able to get a few goodies in there!

It's on the main road in the centre of the village and is basically what Alan Partridge would call "a mini-mart - a scaled down supermarket, fit's inside a petrol station"

Post edited at 18:41
 Mike-W-99 27 Apr 2022
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

There’s also brodies next door.

greg_may_ 27 Apr 2022

Don't forget you can eat at The Real Food Cafe before you head off.

olddirtydoggy 27 Apr 2022

Tyndrum Inn does a great pub curry that rivals a proper curry house. Explosive!

OP gimmergimmer 27 Apr 2022
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Thanks everyone. I think I'll survive.

wercat 27 Apr 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

proper walkers don't eat till after they've been up and back

ERNIESHACK 28 Apr 2022

Green Welly is open 0700 to 2200 daily, except Monday 2100. Enough to see you right for a day on the hill and as said before a few nice places to eat, all within a short walking distance.

I recommend the chippy, always nice after a hard day on the hill.

Dave the Rave 28 Apr 2022
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> There’s also brodies next door.

There is brodies but last time I went in the staff were right rude, Never been back since.

Albert Tatlock 28 Apr 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

> Don't forget you can eat at The Real Food Cafe before you head off.

My mate Mr Austin Powers , the international man of  Scottish cooking absolutely rates this cafe as the best Scottish haute  cuisine north of Glasgow .

streapadair 28 Apr 2022

Haven't been in Tyndrum for a while - would I right in thinking that it's expanded a bit since 1979?

alan moore 29 Apr 2022
In reply to streapadair:

Yes. Although the car park is still bigger than the town.

Robert Durran 29 Apr 2022
In reply to streapadair:

> Haven't been in Tyndrum for a while - would I right in thinking that it's expanded a bit since 1979?

Yes, it's evolved into sort of rubbishy wannabe Ambleside.

peppermill 29 Apr 2022
In reply to Robert Durran:

Bit harsh.

Tyndrum isn't cursed with folk aimlessly wandering around gear shops like a Gore-Tex clad scene from "The Walking Dead".

;p

Robert Durran 29 Apr 2022
In reply to peppermill:

> Bit harsh.

> Tyndrum isn't cursed with folk aimlessly wandering around gear shops like a Gore-Tex clad scene from "The Walking Dead".

Give it a bit more time.......

OP gimmergimmer 29 Apr 2022
In reply to ERNIESHACK:

Thank- very helpful.

Mike-W-99 29 Apr 2022
In reply to peppermill:

And endless dog walkers.

Mike-W-99 29 Apr 2022

> Yes, it's evolved into sort of rubbishy wannabe Ambleside.

Without the gear shops. Even the real food cafe is a pale imitation of its former self.

> Yes, it's evolved into sort of rubbishy wannabe Ambleside.

You're thinking of Pitlochry.

Tyndrum is OK, and the campsite just south of it run by the agricultural college is brilliant.

65 29 Apr 2022
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Pitlochry is like Aviemore minus the good bits or for those who cannot be bothered to drive another hour. Tyndrum is an extended motorway services for the A82. 

OP gimmergimmer 30 Apr 2022
In reply to 65:

Main attraction for me is there's a railway station.  In fact 2 stations-fun facts the smallest place to have two railway stations!

Fat Bumbly2 30 Apr 2022
In reply to streapadair:

Old Skool Tyndrum: back then we used to use the railway huts as bothies. Had several good weekends based there.

subtle 01 May 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

One of the most over rated and over priced food establishments around,  but then there’s not much competition 

greg_may_ 01 May 2022
In reply to subtle:

It’s been about 5 years since I’ve eaten there and I’m guessing it’s changed a bit then!

kevin stephens 01 May 2022

Tyndrum my not be perfect but it’s very handy to stop for food on a long journey north or back home, I’m glad it’s there.

BuzyG 01 May 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

Fine fish and chips.

65 01 May 2022
In reply to subtle:

> One of the most over rated and over priced food establishments around,  but then there’s not much competition 

It's ok, but that's all. The Ashvale or Eat Mhor Fish it certainly isn't.

wercat 01 May 2022
In reply to peppermill:

> Bit harsh.

> "The Walking Dead".

the result of Amblercide

Mike-W-99 01 May 2022
In reply to 65:

> Pitlochry is like Aviemore minus the good bits or for those who cannot be bothered to drive another hour. Tyndrum is an extended motorway services for the A82. 

Drove through Aberfoyle today for the 1st or 2nd time ever. Now that’s definitely an Ambleside wannabe.

BuzyG 02 May 2022
In reply to 65:

> It's ok, but that's all. The Ashvale or Eat Mhor Fish it certainly isn't.

Well yes. It was not Simply Fish in Brixham.  My their Cod is yummy.  But I have always enjoyed what has been on offer when passing by.

peppermill 02 May 2022
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Drove through Aberfoyle today for the 1st or 2nd time ever. Now that’s definitely an Ambleside wannabe.

Aye, but Scottish, so clearly better ;p

Bob Aitken 02 May 2022
In reply to peppermill:

Callander's another place that increasingly resembles Ambleside, not least in its hideous traffic congestion in high season and at weekends.  Can't report recent personal experience of its fish and chip cuisine but I'm sure the gourmets of UKC can supply an appraisal ...

Mike-W-99 02 May 2022
In reply to Bob Aitken:

Mhor fish as mentioned previously. I’ve been to another one too which wasn’t bad.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...