Two Day Walk Near Leeds With Elderly Dog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dh4096 05 May 2022

Hello,

Please can someone recommend some walks that fit the below criteria? I appreciate that this is quite specific, so thank you kindly in advance. 

Don

We (two humans, one dog) would like to take a train from Leeds to a train station, X, and do an ~6 mile walk to some dog-friendly overnight accommodation; train journey <= 1 hour preferred but flexible for a super walk.

On day two we'd like to walk another ~6 miles to a different point, Y, which is either another train station or a bus stop that could take us to a train station (or straight back to Leeds by bus depending on location).

The whole team are experienced hikers. Elderly Dog does not like stiles but can be lifted over them by Human One – the fewer lifts, the better, for all concerned.

We could push it to a maximum 7 miles with Elderly Dog if it's predominantly flat but would prefer not to if it's hilly.

Aiming to slot this in before the Jubilee bank holiday so a 28th May-1st June window.

We've already done these so are looking for some variety: -

• Leeds Country Way (all of it).
  • Leeds/Liverpool canal – we've done every train station between Leeds/Skipton (inclusive) as day hikes so nothing new to see.

I'm Googling around for options but the dog-friendliness is hard to gauge for a two-dayer, so local knowledge appreciated.

Thanks again.

mrphilipoldham 05 May 2022
In reply to dh4096:

Day one take the train out to Hebden Bridge then the bus up to Colden, get off at the Pennine Way and follow it over towards Gorple reservoir (total route about 7 miles if going that way) or more direct (6 miles in total) down to Blake Dean, then follow the beautiful valley back down to Hebden Bridge passing through Hardcastle Crags. Tea and cake at the old mill compulsory. You're in hilly terrain but taking the bus up to Colden negates most of the uphill walking. 

Day two, do something similar.. the bus will take up to the top of Oxenhope Moor on the Keighley road so options to either drop back down in the Calder Valley or the other way toward Keighley. Could result in a trip on the KWVR before rejoining the main line to Bradford and on to Leeds - unless of course you've covered that area in a day hike, but I'm guessing maybe not. 

Can't help with accommodation as I live here, but you must be able to find something in Hebden!

In reply to dh4096:

Something something Ribblehead viaduct? Definitely accessible by train. Plenty tourist accommodation about in all those villages. Not sure about routes but I'm sure you'll find something spectacular.

yorkshire_lad2 06 May 2022
In reply to dh4096:

Train to Ilkley (plenty of accommodation and services) and walk Dales Way. 

Train to Settle (also plenty of accomodation and services) and walk Ribble river / Ribble Way to Horton (train station, accommodation) and next day to Ribblehead (train station and viaduct)

Similar possibilities at Skipton

See also:

https://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/20104088.new-pup-friendly-provisions-ro...
New pup-friendly provisions rolled out at Settle and Skipton stations

OP dh4096 06 May 2022

Thanks, all.

I'm coincidentally at Hardcastle Crags tomorrow (without dog). Reasonably sure we've done the suggested walk before. Calder Valley is a good shout. Throwing in an extra bus trip for the range problem is a good idea.

I've never been to Ribblehead so will read up on that.

I hadn't thought of Ilkley – will throw that into the mix.

Settle was already on my radar and I was considering Settle -> Malham (village not cove), then Malham to Gargrave. I'm just slightly concerned about the Cove Road section on day one as it looks road-bound for a long section.

yorkshire_lad2 06 May 2022
In reply to dh4096:

> Settle was already on my radar and I was considering Settle -> Malham (village not cove), then Malham to Gargrave. I'm just slightly concerned about the Cove Road section on day one as it looks road-bound for a long section.

The route out of Settle over the tops to Malham (either via Gorebeck Road through Stockdale) involves quite a climb out of Settle (IIRC, you said you preferred flat-ish).

You can avoid most of tarmac bashing Cove Road on either of those route fairly easily, either by going down Pikedaw (path marked as going past Hoober Edge on the map) (on the Stockdale route), or by going through Watlowes and over the top of the Cove (the clints and grykes on top of the cove may not be the best thing for an elderly dog?) on the Gorebeck Route.

I live in Settle and walk those areas quite a bit, so if you want any further pointers/tips, just say.

OP dh4096 09 May 2022
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

Excellent point. I seem to remember there was a fair amount of livestock up there (somewhere) too.

OP dh4096 09 May 2022

An extra logistical problem has scuppered the two day walk.

The good news is that we're taking the advice above and turning it into day walks where possible so thank you all once again for your input.

yorkshire_lad2 10 May 2022
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

Postscript: just seen a reminder that the summer weekend bus service between Settle and Malham is starting, which may be of us to your route planning:

https://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/20125324.dalesbus-buses-running-skipton...
BUSES are now running again between Settle, Malham Tarn and Malham every weekend for the summer 2022 season, providing a more sustainable way of visiting this popular area of the Yorkshire Dales National Park.
https://www.dalesbus.org/malham.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...