tryfan winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 showard 02 Jun 2018

Hi has anybody got any tips for climbing tryfan in this winter coming like gear to take like rope etc

deacondeacon 02 Jun 2018
In reply to showard:

Yep defo take a rope. Probably some wellies and a wooly hat too. 

OP showard 02 Jun 2018
In reply to deacondeaco

what length of rope and type etc. half,single , dry or not?

OP showard 02 Jun 2018
In reply to showard:

what gear would be needed to climb tryfan the north ridge in winter.

deacondeacon 02 Jun 2018
In reply to showard:

To be honest mate, if you need to ask, you may not be ready for it. Could be worth getting some instruction this winter then take it from there  

OP showard 02 Jun 2018
In reply to deacondeacon:

thanks

Babika 02 Jun 2018
In reply to showard:

I'd recommend going up it now, in June to get a feeling for the different routes and stamina required.

Then you can multiply it a bit more for winter when hours are short, visibility crap and everything underfoot a bit slimey. 

pasbury 02 Jun 2018
In reply to showard:

It depends on your level of skill/experience.

tradisrad 02 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

I'd echo this advice in my (albeit limited) experience. The experienced winter climber / walker will probably be fine without a rope or a rack.

However, for the more nervous / inexperienced there would certainly be no harm in taking a dry treated rope (a half rope should be fine for scrambling terrain IMHO, however be advised that they are not certified for this) and a light rack (6 or so wires, a couple of larger hexes and a selection of slings) may be helpful for safeguarding the odd step. It may be handy to carry a small rope regardless. I often carry a 30m Beal Iceline half rope when winter scrambling. Assuming you know how, this can be used if one needs to retreat and where the odd step may be difficult to down climb. I will also allow you to safeguard a party member if someone has a bit of a wobbly, or one comes across someone who has run into trouble.  

Oh and bring a helmet regardless, traumatic brain injury is no laughing matter, but I'm a bit biased on this point due to an accident early in my climbing career. 

pasbury 02 Jun 2018
In reply to tradisrad:

I agree with your kit list but you’ve got to know how to use it!

tradisrad 02 Jun 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Agreed! 

aln 02 Jun 2018
In reply to showard:

Take a flask of tea/coffee, maybe hot ribena... 

Wainers44 02 Jun 2018
In reply to showard:

pack as much chocolate as you have and then buy some more. Hats, you can never have too many, three each is a bear minimum.

Don't forget in winter that time will be short so take some of that too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...