Tryfan Western Gully

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
paulmo101 20 Jul 2019

Hi

I`ve been on Tryfan quite a few times either the North ridge or scrambles/easy climbs from the Heather terrace.  I`ve usually descended via the south summit but recently I`ve seen mention of a quick descent route via the Western Gully.  I`ve read that this is popular with welsh 3000ers as it a relatively quick route down.  I believe the entrance to the gully from the top is roughly NW from Adam and Eve and near to the North summit of Tryfan?  I`m writing to ask if anyone has any other information or better still a grid reference to the top of the gully as I would not like to start down the wrong route.

Thanks for reading

Paul

In reply to paulmo101:

The descent gully is the last dip before the summit plateau as you go up the North Ridge route. 

r0b 20 Jul 2019
In reply to paulmo101:

From A+E you head on a bearing 330 which takes you past the left side of a square block on the horizon. Down for a bit before turning slight left on 300 down a rocky gully. Then either go right down a scree gully with trods crossing it to the road near the N ridge, or carry on to come out on the road a bit more towards Ogwen Cottage.

I did it last weekend on a friend's Paddy Buckley and it's a pretty tricky descent

paulmo101 21 Jul 2019
In reply to paulmo101:

Thanks for the replies

Trangia 21 Jul 2019
In reply to paulmo101:

Why has someone given the OP a dislike for asking a perfectly reasonable question?

paulmo101 21 Jul 2019
In reply to Trangia:

Great video Thanks for taking the time to post.

Hopefully going back to Ogwen valley next month and check out this descent route.

I suppose in winter it fills with snow and possibly not such a good choice to descend the gully under these conditions ?

Thanks again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...