Tryfan North Ridge in high wind

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Plugg_81 25 Oct 2018

Hello. I really want to do the Tryfan North Ridge scramble tomorrow but weather reports are suggesting winds of up to 50km per hour... I have some mountaineering experience. Gran Paradisio, Walk to Hornlihutte, Crib Goch and Pinnacle Ridge. All in good conditions. Is 50km wind and predicted rain a no no or can I still go?! I’m keen but people in town are advising against it... thanks.

In reply to Plugg_81:

You could get something out of the day by going and if you think the gusts are a bit sporting, go along Heather Terrace and to the summit via the south ridge.  But Tryfan will still be there on Saturday, and it's a judgement only you can make.

T.

Plugg_81 25 Oct 2018
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Thanks that’s good advice. Saturday looks a bit grim too. I’ll have a think

andyd1970 25 Oct 2018
In reply to Plugg_81:

Looking at the MWIS forecast it’s giving gusts of up to 40 mph, with hail and snow showers causing a whiteout in the afternoon with a windchill factor of -14.

Bit like a typical day in the Cairngorms lol

On a serious note the Mountain will always be there for another day but don’t forget the other stuff you have done was all in good conditions and it will turn an easy dry scramble into a slippery, cold, wet and windy route which can knock you off balance/ cause a slip

Just think about the people who may have to come and get you if you can’t deal with the weather conditions, especially if your alone.

Mike Peacock 25 Oct 2018
In reply to Plugg_81:

High winds might or might not be an issue, depending on the direction and how well you know the route. However, looking at MWIS and Met Office, I'd be more concerned by the potential thunder and snow.

"Increasingly frequent hail and snow showers; thunder in places. In afternoon, the precipitation almost constant for periods, giving whiteout."

In reply to Plugg_81:

If you've never done it before,Tryfan's north ridge and the continuation up Bristly ridge to the summit of Glyder Fach is a day worth saving for good conditions; it's a great day's easy scrambling and you'd get the best from it if your efforts were matched by the excellence of the views.  So were it me I'd wait for a clear day rather than one when the wind howled and cold rain splattered from a sky filled with mist; but as i said, it's your choice.

T.

GrahamD 25 Oct 2018
In reply to Plugg_81:

I'm not sure how familiar yo are with Tryfan but it's not really a ridge in the sense of a knife edge arete. You can pick any nu.ber of lines with varying degrees of shelter or exposure. 

Plugg_81 25 Oct 2018
In reply to andyd1970:

Thanks for the advice. This is really good info... I’m thinking maybe it’s not the best weekend to do this. Such a shame as I’ve travelled a long way but such is the way of the mountain I guess! 

Plugg_81 25 Oct 2018

Thanks everyone who replied. I think I might drive over there and take a look but probably not go up. As most you say, there’s always another weekend and I would like to appreciate the views.

Dave the Rave 25 Oct 2018
In reply to Plugg_81:

Not being rude mate, but if you’re asking this question then you don’t have enough experience. Don’t do it, wait a while.

In reply to GrahamD:

OVMRO will love you! 

In reply to Plugg_81:

For the dislikers:-

Would you advocate going up the north ridge of Tryfan given the forecast? Plugg may/may not get away with it? He’s rightly asked for advice and I think that people who advocate it are foolhardy.

ianstevens 25 Oct 2018
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> OVMRO will love you! 

He’s not wrong - tryfan is not exactly a narrow ridge where I’d be concerned about 40mph gusts. That said, the OP is not me and may well want nicer conditions - the old adage applies I feel: “if you have to ask...”

In reply to ianstevens:

I agree with you. 

It’s not just the wind forecast though. I’ve been up a fair few times and never really been the same way. Being unsure of your upward or downward route in crap conditions would not be at best any fun?

Thrudge 26 Oct 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

> I'm not sure how familiar yo are with Tryfan but it's not really a ridge in the sense of a knife edge arete. You can pick any nu.ber of lines with varying degrees of shelter or exposure. 

Agreed.  I'd think at least twice about doing it if it's blowing a hooley, though.  And I definitely wouldn't do it if there was chance of a whiteout.  To the OP - bail, sir.  Bail.  As Pursued by a Bear says, it's a lovely route and well worth saving for when conditions allow you actually see it 

Southvillain 26 Oct 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

> I'm not sure how familiar yo are with Tryfan but it's not really a ridge in the sense of a knife edge arete. You can pick any nu.ber of lines with varying degrees of shelter or exposure. 

Agreed. I did Striding Edge at the start of this month, in >40mph wind/gusts, and that meant stepping off the very narrow parts on to the side path. But as GrahamD says, North Ridge is not a knife edge arête and is very much `find your own way'.

kaiser 26 Oct 2018
In reply to Plugg_81:

Ice may be the main worry tomorrow - and that's 2 notches up from wind and rain in the danger and difficulty scale

Plugg_81 26 Oct 2018

Cheers again for the advice. I ended up having a great day walking up the Pyg track.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...