Tryfan / Bristly Ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 waterfall 13 Jan 2022

I am planning to Tryfan / Bristly Ridge this Saturday, I've previously done it in summer but not winter before

I found it OK, nervy bit on Bristly Ridge at the top due to an exposed section / not the best with height.  questions below!

1) will I be OK using La Sportiva TX4's?  I do not own crampons (yet)

2) do you think the rock will be icy?  this is my main concern and will make me much more nervous if so!

thanks in advance as always

kaiser 13 Jan 2022

reply to waterfall:

1)  No

2) Yes

OP waterfall 13 Jan 2022
In reply to waterfall:

thanks for the short reply, probably leaves me with more questions though

If approach shoes shouldn't be worn and there is no snow there (according to MWIS), what should I be wearning?

Post edited at 19:44
 kaiser 13 Jan 2022
In reply to waterfall:

Snow may not be falling from the sky but Bristly Ridge is high up on the NE face of Glyder Fach - it's a cold, high place and you are likely to find patches of lying snow and the rock may be coated with black ice.

The days are short in Winter and if you find conditions difficult you will be slow and perhaps run out of daylight

If the pinnacle gap down climb made you a little nervous in summer you're not ready for a winter ascent.

I suggest a high mountain walk instead - perhaps summit Glyder Fach via Cwm Tryfan?  That will still be a challenge but is safer and will build your experience and confidence

Post edited at 20:12
 rockcatch 13 Jan 2022
In reply to waterfall:

I went over Y Garn and Y Glyderau yesterday. There were some compacted snow patches in the shade, and the rocks near the summits had some ice on them, more so on the shaded side of Glyder Fach. I wore approach shoes and had no problems, just needing to take care on the top part of the descent.

bouldery bits 13 Jan 2022
In reply to waterfall:

Ideally, big boots. 

If you found it sketchy in the Summer, be careful in current ground conditions. 

There are lots of other, lovely routes around this area to enjoy that have a lower chance of a bad gravity day. 

This is all said from a place of love and care. Be safe. 

BB

Andypeak 13 Jan 2022
In reply to waterfall:

I've been in Snowdonia all week and there is very little if any snow left. Glyders and the Carnedds. There is currently very little if any snow left. I've walked extensively in the Carnedds and some of the Glyders and not had to touch any of my winter gear. 

GrahamD 13 Jan 2022
In reply to waterfall:

The benefit of Tryfan followed by Bristly ridge is that when you get up to the top of Tryfan, you can re evaluate how things are and bail out if needed.  Personally I'd be content with Tryfan N.Ridge at this time of year.

jcw 13 Jan 2022
In reply to waterfall:

judging my your name, you'd be safer inside, we don't want an icefall

tagscuderia 14 Jan 2022
In reply to waterfall:

It won't be a wintry ascent, today is forecast to be glorious (as it was yesterday), 4C with a low of 1C overnight at 900m. Colder Saturday but that won't change anything. However... use the North Ridge of Tryfan to assess conditions of chimneys and slabs, plenty of options to bail before Bristly.

TX4s will be fine. I'm heading up Llech Ddu tomorrow and won't be taking any winter kit, but I will be in Rebel Lites for the quagmire after Yr Elen

chris_r 14 Jan 2022
In reply to bouldery bits:

> a bad gravity day. 

I'm stealing that phrase.

OP waterfall 14 Jan 2022
In reply to tagscuderia:

we have discussed the same too and are going to go, I've done it before so just need to build that confidence!  as you and also Graham have said above, can bail out after Tryfan if needs

your post has helped a lot, cheers mate

jethro kiernan 15 Jan 2022
In reply to waterfall:

An alternative is to do Tryfan then drop down a little and do y Cribin, if you follow the skyline it’s a proper low grade scramble, if you feel over committed you can drop down the left a little and follow the path. Was up there yesterday, a few frosty patches in the frost pockets but the ridges were dry and frost free

OP waterfall 17 Jan 2022

was a great day out, we did the classic route including sinsiter gully and the rest of bristly

great conditions too

crem lem spur next weekend depending on weather of course

thanks for everyones inputs

profitofdoom 17 Jan 2022
In reply to waterfall:

> was a great day out, we did the classic route including sinsiter gully and the rest of bristly

> great conditions too

> crem lem spur next weekend depending on weather of course

> thanks for everyones inputs

Thanks for posting. Glad you had a great day out and that it went well

mountainbagger 17 Jan 2022
In reply to waterfall:

> crem lem spur next weekend depending on weather of course

Crib Lem Spur is a good choice, nice approach, good position, some fun bits to it. Feels more remote than Tryfan (because it is!) and you might see less people. Can continue over the Carneddau and Yr Elen if desired. I'm jealous!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...