Training Advice for Poor Joints

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Cozza93 04 Feb 2018

Hi everyone! I have been inspired to go on regular hill walks since traveling to New Zealand last year and I am keen to do the Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge in August however I have encountered a slight issue...

I have recently discovered that I have hypermobile joints following several running induced injuries. I have been advised by my chiropractor that I can no longer do the weight or HIIT training I was used to.

However, all of the training guides I have found online encourage running and weight based training; neither of which I can do unfortunately.

I currently swim once a week and do Pilates 4 times a week; would adding a regular (slowly increasing in intensity and duration) hill walk be enough on top of that? Or would I be able to mix up my current routine more?

I’m keen to take on more challenges in the future, ideally 3 peaks and the Inca Trail but I don’t want my training routine to hold me back...

Any advice would be very much appreciated and thank you in advance!

JayPee630 04 Feb 2018
In reply to Cozza93:

Hmmm, chiropractor... mostly quackery. I'd go and see a proper sports physio and get their opinion. I suspect you can totally do some level of weight training and intervals/HIIT training.

Post edited at 10:25
 Ally23 04 Feb 2018
In reply to Cozza93:

If its joints rather than tendons avoid impact / load baring exercises of which, yes, running would be one.  That said as above consult an actual medical professional and get xrays / US scans of the joints concerned. 

Intervals on the bike / swimming / rower should all still be possible ?  

Dave the Rave 04 Feb 2018
In reply to Cozza93:

See a physio and ask about taping of your problematic joints either kinesio tape if they’re not too lax or even a static tape.

This is not a shortcut for strengthening but helps with proprioceptive input helping prevent the joints from going where they shouldn’t.

Flinticus 07 Feb 2018
In reply to Cozza93:

Thought you were looking to improve your rolling skills...best to roll a few then smoke.

llechwedd 08 Feb 2018
In reply to Cozza93:

From what you say, the thing described as 'hypermobile joints' is causing problems when you run. 

So walk. 
Not challenge walks. Not push yourself 'til you break, followed by the inevitable prolonged rest where you beat yourself up because you can't sustain that level.

Be specific about the hypermobility thing. Is it on specific terrain? Monitor the affected joint(s). Start off doing what you could do on a 'bad' day. Do it frequently until you see that the joints can cope. 
Build slowly and sustainably. Don't take what you do, and double it. 

You're aiming to avoid 'boom and bust'.
If your own intrinsic dynamic stability at the joints can't cope, look to a physio'. Consider footwear, Pacerpoles to  maintain a healthy gait pattern.  Consider issues like tiredness inasmuch as your ability to attend to the demands of challenging terrain will be impacted.

Having developed your ability to assess your own capabilities, you can then  look to you challenge walk. You can then take each aspect of it and consider how you'll cope and what you might need to work on.

That's just stuff off the top of my head. It requires commitment to take the approach I've outlined. 
there again, you could just pay for a chiropractor...

JPE 10 Feb 2018
In reply to Cozza93:

Hello there! 

I've now got hyper mobile ankles following a succession of a climbing incidents. I'm a regular hillwalker. 

Seek a physio's advice ????

I consulted a sports physio  who actively encouraged climbing (due to the micromovements and helping with stability) but found for the first few years, taping helped with the proprioceptive aspect and prevented me rolling it/overextending it - as did a well fitting pair of boots for walking. I also find that poles help on uneven terrain, for my balance isnt great. They suggested, as a fellow poster has, in building up and figuring out what I could and couldn't do. 

With regard to running, I found building up slowly with supportive shoes, compression socks and a trusty foam roller after helped.

Wyn 24 Feb 2018
In reply to Cozza93:

Go see someone with a medical qualification and ask for a second opinion.

josh12345 25 Feb 2018
In reply to Cozza93:

Hello,

As other posters have said, go and see a sports physiotherapist. A good one will help you achieve your goals rather than tell you what you can't do and they will give you the exercises that will strengthen and protect your problematic joints. An important thing to note about physio is that they cannot cure you, they can only show you what to do and ultimately you make yourself better by strengthening muscles and changing movement patterns by doing the exercises they prescribe.

Different physios have different approaches, some are very hands on with lots of manipulations and massaging, whereas others take the view point that any manipulations they do are only temporary so they'd rather get you to do exercises to release the problem areas. If the first person you see doesn't seem to be working, try someone else with a different approach or area of professional interest.

FYI I've had lots of bio-mechanical problems (some related to hypermobile knees and mid back), used 5 physios over the years and had both styles of treatment. I'm quite evangelical about physiotherapy and how effective it can be.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...