Torridon wild camp

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Russell Lovett 24 Sep 2020

Torridon wild camp sunrise/set summit wildcamp photo opportunity's suggestions. Never been to Torridon before and will be off work for a week from 10th October and was thinking of a munro bagging trip up there then if Nicolar is still allowing travel. What are people's suggestions on the not to be missed wildcamping summits. Cheer in advance and yes I have all the right gear and nav skills to be up in these mountains. 

Red Rover 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Russell Lovett:

I think sleeping on a summit in October would be grim. I'd stay in a campsite or something and get up early enough that you can be on the summit by sunrise, but that's just my opinion.

FinrodFelagund 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

> I think sleeping on a summit in October would be grim. 

You call it grim, I call it Type 2 Fun.

Red Rover 24 Sep 2020
In reply to FinrodFelagund:

It could be great but it could be aweful. Torridon in October isn't the dryest place...

gavmac 24 Sep 2020

Beinn Damph is great for views over to its more famous neighbours and out over Loch Torridon. 

Coire Mhic Fhearchair is quite the spot (not a summit I know).

Ben Shieldaig would, I imagine, be a lovely location for a camp and west coast sunset.

Of the munros, I would probably go for Beinn Alligin for a summit camp. 

Post edited at 17:29
Removed User 24 Sep 2020

If you're after a view then you might want to think about Being an Eoin which sits to the Northwest of Being Eighe. It looks into Coire MhicFearchar [sp]. If you got the right weather you'd likely get a nice sunrise and sunset and most of the walk in is on a track.

Myfyr Tomos 24 Sep 2020

I look forward to the results.

Red Rover 24 Sep 2020
In reply to FinrodFelagund:

Maybe I'm just being soft. If there was a nice sunrise then my future self would be glad I had done it.

r0b 24 Sep 2020

Look up Alex Nail - he does a lot of photography in Torridon from wild camps

There was a dusting of snow on Ben Wyvis the other morning and it was 3° at sea level today so you'll want your 3 season bag at least. Nothing better than sleeping on the tops. Bonus that the midges should've taken a huge hit over the last few days. 

In reply to becauseitsthere:

Three season? I'm a South of the boarder softie (Newcastle Upon Tyne so maybe not that soft) , I, ll be taking my 4 season bag and be dammed with the extra weight. 

Robert Durran 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Removed User:

> If you're after a view then you might want to think about Being an Eoin which sits to the Northwest of Being Eighe. It looks into Coire MhicFearchar [sp]. If you got the right weather you'd likely get a nice sunrise and sunset and most of the walk in is on a track.

I've got Beinn an Eoin in  mind for a summer bivi, but by October I don't think the direction of the sun would be favourable first or last thing. Those Corbetts above Loch Clair might work. I saw an Alex Nail video on them in winter.

Removed User 24 Sep 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

Fair enough.

Just squinting at the map I reckoned it might be about right as the Sun will be to the South of West and East if you see what I mean.

Nigel Coe 24 Sep 2020

Have a great trip, Russell!

wintertree 24 Sep 2020

If it's windy, I'd go to the shores of Loch Coire Mhic Fhearchair for a bit of shelter, and a swim.  I've never known the water to be over 7°C.  Refreshing morning dip.  Not a summit but a great place.

If it's calm and the views are open, I'd go to the summit plateau of Beinn a Chearcaill.  Despite being a simple and unchallenging route, it's a strange and other-worldly place.  Fascinating rock structure on the plateau with the cracking and the small erratics, and the view is stunning.

Tringa 25 Sep 2020

The summit of Baosbheinn(I know its the Shieldaig Forest rather than Torridon but its not far away) is lovely and flat and had some of the best views of anywhere on the west coast(though that could be said of just about any hill up here), but camping there in October!

It could be great but I'd not put money on it. Far more comfortable a bit lower down.

Dave

In reply to Nigel Coe:

Hi  Nigel, you have mail. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...