Ticking off summits for complete rounds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 12 Dec 2019

If you haven't stood on the top of the Inn Pinn, can you claim a full munro round?

If you haven't stood on top of the Cobbler after going through the needle, have you done all the corbetts?

Or if you've got to a snow covered summit and can't find the actual highest point or can't risk it due to cornicing issues (cause it situated on the edge) etc. do you need to go back and do without the snow cover? Doesn't apply to Everest or other permanently snow covered peaks.

Post edited at 16:39
 alan moore 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Yes to those. If flogging up hills is your thing you've done the real work; missing a summit by a few yards is no big deal.

Lankyman 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Talking as someone who was once 'doing' the Munros but only got to about 90 short of the full round ..... No. If you don't reach the highest point then you haven't climbed the hill, simple logic otherwise you could cop out at any point on the way up and still claim an ascent. In the end it's all a game and if it suits your purpose then fair enough. Just don't expect anyone else to go along with it.

Simon Caldwell 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

No to the first two of course.

The third I'd probably say yes, as you are higher than you would be if you'd climbed it in the summer. Aonach Beag comes to mind, the winter high point is on snow that is often too close to the corniced edge for comfort!

OP Flinticus 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Ha! Precisely what happened to me on Aonach Beag...I've a nagging voice saying I must return!

Robert Durran 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

> If you haven't stood on the top of the Inn Pinn, can you claim a full munro round?

Yes, and it has to be an onsight lead or solo. So anyone who has been dragged up on a top rope has blown completing the Munros for ever I'm afraid.

Post edited at 17:50
 m dunn 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

> If you haven't stood on the top of the Inn Pinn, can you claim a full munro round?

Yes.  Just use Munro's original list; where he named Sgurr Dearg as the main mountain and the In Pinn as the Top.

Myfyr Tomos 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Aonach Beag was my first thought. Well dodgy when I was last there.

Removed User 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Dave Hewit, of this parish, developed the Fucit Factor to cover these eventualities.

Post edited at 19:56

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...