Things to do in and around Bordeaux

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Legs 23 Jul 2018

I know it’s a bit random but myself and my family are off to a wedding around Bordeaux. We have three days before and four days after. I was wondering if anyone had visited that region and could recommend and non climbing related activities. Beautiful lakeside spots? Walks? Areas to visit. Etc. Any tips would be appreciated?

Toccata 23 Jul 2018
In reply to Legs:

Most of the beaches along the Aquitaine coast are lovely. St Emilion is well worth a full day as there’s much to see. For a few hours to pass the Parc de Majolin has a really bizarre but amazing artificial grotto. You have to hunt for the side entrance but it’s worthwhile. The locals knock up half decent plonk so a vineyard tour or two.

Tom Valentine 23 Jul 2018
In reply to Toccata:

>The locals knock up half decent plonk so a vineyard tour or two.

Mike-W-99 23 Jul 2018
In reply to Legs:

I've been here, about 60k away - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_of_Pilat

Admittedly it was 30 years ago but I remember being impressed.

Removed User 23 Jul 2018
In reply to Legs:

I'll second the St Emilion suggestion. In other directions, Ile d'Oleron is beautiful and the Dune de Pyla near Archachon is well worth a visit for the view over Cap Ferret. 

Y Gribin 23 Jul 2018
In reply to Legs:

I also found myself in Bordeaux for a nearby wedding. Third the St Emilion suggestion. 

The toruist office in the centre of the city is really good - one of the best I’ve found. They can organise days, book hotels etc. They booked me a day of wine tasting with a cooking course, at a nearby chateaux, all at the last minute. 

Visit the law courts if you’re interested in modern architecture  

Musée des Beaux Arts is world class if you’re into art  

St Jean de Luz is a beautiful seaside town you can reach by direct train. Very French but culturally quite different to most of the country  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...