NEW ROUTE CARD: The Kentmere Horseshoe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Daniel Dalton 21 Aug 2020

Harter FellOne of the longest and most remote classic rounds in the Lake District, the Kentmere Horseshoe showcases the very best that the Far Eastern fells have to offer, taking in eight Wainwright fells with extra tops to be added as you wish. It may not be as popular as some of the other Lakeland rounds, but it certainly doesn't disappoint, with stunning vistas overlooking Haweswater, Kirkstone and Windermere, as well as providing a mixture of gentle grassy paths and some rougher rockier sections. Starting at Kentmere village, the route is best attacked anti-clockwise, commencing on the gentle trails up to Harter Fell. After traversing across the Nan Bield Pass to Mardale Ill Bell, it's only a short climb over to High Street and Thornthwaite Crag before getting stuck into the three dramatic summits guarding the western flank. The fell-top walk over Froswick, Ill Bell and Yoke is certainly one to savour - a highlight of the walk - before heading back to Kentmere.

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1293

Dark-Cloud 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Daniel Dalton:

Weird, we always do it clockwise for a run, probably as it's much better coming down Harter to Kentmere Pike and Shipman Knotts than slogging up it.

r0b 21 Aug 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I think almost everyone does it Clockwise!

Dark-Cloud 21 Aug 2020
In reply to r0b:

That's what i thought, even the fell race is clockwise, i have probably done it 10-15 odd times now, the first 5 miles are grim anti clockwise

Post edited at 14:40
 Bulls Crack 25 Aug 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I've run it clockwise too  but I can see the sense in saving the best until last since the walk does rather peter out a bit after Harter Fell

Steve Wetton 25 Aug 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> That's what i thought, even the fell race is clockwise.......

It changed in c1987  - iirc because of the queue to get over the stile only a couple of miles from the start  - which obviously led to people climbing the wall. My times were much faster anti-clockwise!

felt 25 Aug 2020

>  most remote classic rounds

Possibly the closest to the M6 and the south, so actually the least remote, but shhh, don't tell anyone.

Dark-Cloud 25 Aug 2020
In reply to Steve Wetton:

Ahh, OK, makes sense, didn't know that

Lankyman 25 Aug 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I'm not a major fan of the 'standard' rounds such as this one and say, the Fairfield Horseshoe. I was thinking about the direction, and how I do most walks, and whether or not I favour one over another. On balance I probably do more clockwise routes than anti. Does it just feel 'right'? Is it because I'm right handed or maybe the way the sun moves in the sky in the northern hemisphere?

r0b 25 Aug 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Ennerdale, Fairfield, Kentmere, Mosedale traditionally CW

Coledale, Newlands traditionally ACW

So maybe the rule is CW unless it is in the NW Lakes!

Lankyman 25 Aug 2020
In reply to r0b:

I think I'm maybe too easily bored these days (or too lazy) to persevere all round that many horseshoes. To me, there's always something interesting in the valley to see as well, such as a waterfall or old mine shaft so I often just drop down early. It's often quieter down below too.

uphillnow 25 Aug 2020

Great round but an easy day compared to many classics. Easy of access and easy to escape from.

peppermill 27 Aug 2020
In reply to uphillnow:

> Great round but an easy day compared to many classics. Easy of access and easy to escape from.

My thoughts exactly! The lad will make one hell of a salesman one day going by the OP haha!

Does anyone remember a fantastic metal sculpture made from old fence posts on top of Harter Fell (I think) in the late 70's? I used to have a picture but now deep in my archive.

Lankyman 27 Aug 2020
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Yes. Not been over that way for a few years but I think it's still there? I wouldn't exactly describe it as a sculpture so much as a random collection of old metal posts stuffed into the cairn.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...