The Heart of Wales Railway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 19 Aug 2019

A positive story about the railways and linked specifically to access to the hills.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/19/railway-heart-of-wale...

big 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

I live about 200m from the line... While it could do with more frequent services to make it useful for those wanting to go to work (there's 10 a day altogether!) it's an excellent way to go for a pint a couple of villages down, so long as you don't miss the last train back! 

Rigid Raider 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

I've been saying for years that some rural communities must by now have grown to the point where there would be sufficient commuter traffic to sustain an efficient light railway, reinstated on the same lines that Beeching axed. 

John Gresty 19 Aug 2019
In reply to big:

Went for a two day trip  along the full length of this line about six weeks ago. Wish they would cut down some trees, all one saw out of the train windows for most of the trip was trees, trees and more trees, they were also brushing the train in places. Although that is a common complaint of mine about any train journey these days as I do like to sit by the window and enjoy the scenery. 

In the 1920's on the Vale of Rheidol railway they cut trees down to improve the view from the train in places, and not just to reduce the fire risk, these viewing points can still be seen today. Surely on scenic lines, which the Heart of Wales is, it should be possible to do something similar. 

John

Moley 19 Aug 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

It is our local line, Cynghordy station just over the hill.

Anyone with a (Welsh) bus pass has free travel on the line for 6 months of the year from October - March, we make use of it as do many other "oldies". In fact during those winter months the carriage is full of pensioners having a day out to some remote village for a pub lunch, stroll about and home again! 

My wife and friend started walking the trail in the spring utilising the railway, they have really enjoyed it and will be starting again soon once they are less busy. I am planning to do it myself from October onwards, a good day out.

The sugar loaf station was the least used station in UK (you would see why if you stopped there), now loads of people visit it to collect a ticket showing they have been there - which is kind of self defeating .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...