NEW ROUTE CARD: The East Ridges of Nethermost and Dollywaggon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Norman Hadley 07 Feb 2023
Nethermost and Dollywaggon Pikes made lamentably poor life-choices, taking positions in Helvellyn’s shadow. There are even (gasp) people who bypass these summits without a glance on their way to the parent fell. But these are fine tops; Nethermost is Lakeland’s ninth highest, after all, and both present tremendously rough flanks to the east. For this reason, they should always be approached from the Grisedale side: the Thirlmere flanks may be regarded as a delicacy by a hungry sheep but offer little to tempt the mountaineer. This route enchains the two eastern ridges, making a fine expedition on any day, but especially when Striding and Swirral Edges are heaving. I’ve laid it out as a figure-of-eight with Nethermost first because descending Nethermost would be steep, with the potential trap of Eagle Crag lurking at the bottom: not somewhere to step off without a 6’ wingspan. I’ve also assumed the good track up the valley because you’ll be eager to get to the fells quickly, and with dry socks, but happy to take the slower route back.

8.50 miles, 13.68 km, 935m ascent

Read more

Bulls Crack 08 Feb 2023
In reply to Norman Hadley:

Good route. Nethermost's east ridge is really nice in Winter

In reply to Bulls Crack:

Up Nethermost first, then down Striding when the crowds have thinned - the best Lakes winter ridge round?

OP Norman Hadley 10 Feb 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Yes, I did that recently: contouring onto Nethermost's ridge from Hard Tarn then trotting down Striding at dusk as the land purpled - a very nice way to spend a winter's afternoon.

65 10 Feb 2023

Love these hills, not been in a while. 

felt 10 Feb 2023

Thanks for this, and nice photos. Btw, neither of the "Weather and Hill Conditions" links provided seem to be working.

Nice route, these ridges are on my 'to do' list.

Hard Tarn is worth a visit too.

Post edited at 09:35
OP Norman Hadley 12 Feb 2023
In reply to felt:

Ah, sorry about that. Hopefully this will do the trick. https://www.mwis.org.uk/forecasts/english-and-welsh/lake-district

OP Norman Hadley 12 Feb 2023
In reply to WildAboutWalking:

Yes, Hard Tarn is a little gemstone in a wild, wild setting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...