The downside of competitions and events.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Warcup 10 Jul 2020

Many of you will have seen the lead article encouraging entrants to take up the Welsh 3000 14 peaks challenge. Written by Will Legon who runs an outdoor adventure business which among other activities offers guiding for groups who presumably feel unable to accomplish this walk without. I have no reason to believe that Will Legon feels he is not providing a worthwhile service and that by enabling access to outdoor activity to a wider participatory group is providing a useful social function.

Whilst I would not wish to discourage participation in outdoor pursuits there is a tendency to promote specific so called challenges to the point where the sheer quantity of participants creates problems.

You will recall the mass influx of people who travelled all on the same day to walk up Snowdon on the weekend before the travel restriction enforcement was put in place which as a consequence led to the closure of our national parks. The pressure placed on our open spaces and particular areas and locations can become overwhelming and environmentally unsustainable when too many people are attempting to participate in an event at the same time.

Certain occasions such as the viewing the rising sun from the top of Yr Wyddfa on the solstice are highly promoted by companies offering guidance, or mass, ostensibly charitable, events ecouraging huge numbers to participate in one outdoor challenge or another will flood an area. This kind of mass participation, however well meant, when concentrated on a particular goal on a particular day or period of time and the increasing number of such promoted events is a problem.

I don't imagine that the organisers or participants would wish that they were contributing towards the destruction of the natural environment and perhaps a little more forethought into the manner, timing and location of such would help avoid the sort of overcrowding that has become such a blight. There are many areas within our national parks and outdoor spaces that can offer equal or even greater challenges than just those which are currently the target, as there are 365 days per year for them to take place.

tehmarks 10 Jul 2020
In reply to Warcup:

> There are many areas within our national parks and outdoor spaces that can offer equal or even greater challenges than just those which are currently the target...

Don't tell them that!

ScraggyGoat 10 Jul 2020
In reply to Warcup:

Why limit criticism to large mass participation events. The 'outdoors' has become a mass marketable commodity, both financially and for social status.  Equipment manufacturers, retailers, magazines, online businesses & forums such as UKC, instructors, authors, bloggers and photographers, are all trying to capitalise it in one way or another.

Many of them show no evidence of any introspective thought regarding the collective consequences of their actions.

I have a friend whom played a part in marketing of the Isle of Skye to the international & mass tourism, despite their livelihood being dependent on tourism, retrospectively they wish they and others hadn't been so successful.

Post edited at 15:09
 peppermill 10 Jul 2020
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

> I have a friend whom played a part in marketing of the Isle of Skye to the international & mass tourism, despite their livelihood being dependent on tourism, retrospectively they wish they and others hadn't been so successful.

Ditto NC500

Andy Hardy 10 Jul 2020
In reply to Warcup:

You should edit the title of this thread: it's "challenges" and "winkers* chasing likes on social meeja" that are the problem.

*This is a misprint (see Ivor Biggun and the Red Nosed Burglars EP)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...