NEW ROUTE CARD: The Cheviot: Border Ridge and Hen Hole biggie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The Cheviot can seem a dull hump. But not so fast. Head up it out of Scotland, and you get the benefit of the long border ridge running up from the Halter Burn near Kirk Yetholm. Then descend into the craggy emptiness of the Hen Hole, a place once used to hide herds of stolen cattle. The fairies here can bewitch you with strange music so that you never find your way out again... perhaps a pair of earplugs could help at this point. You follow the springs of College Burn through the exit gap below scrappy granite crags and above some waterfalls. This 50km-plus route could be broken with an overnight at the Mounthooly Bunkhouse, before the gentle return leg along the College valley and then west again along a section of St Cuthbert's Way.

32.62 miles, 52.50 km, 1,184m ascent, 12 – 14 hours. Town Yetholm

Read more

Mark Bull 14 Feb 2023
In reply to Ronald Turnbull:

I think you may have got your units mixed up - that route is around 32km, not 32 miles! 

In reply to Mark Bull:

Thanks Mark, I thought it looked big but didn't manually measure it. There's something fishy with our routes admin system and units

Norman Hadley 18 Feb 2023
In reply to Mark Bull:

There are miles, country miles and Cheviot miles...

Norman Hadley 18 Feb 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Yes, I always get that glitch with my routes, Dan, and have to manually convert.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...