NEW ROUTE CARD: The Awful Hand and Rhinns of Kells

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loch Enoch from Little Spear, 3 kbNot counting those who live there, the Southern Uplands are generally neglected by walkers. This vast area has a real backwater feel, yet the best of the hills here easily hold their own with more celebrated summits. The one thing they tend to lack is crowds. In contrast to the generally rolling lay of the land the wild heart of the Galloway Forest Park is strikingly rugged, a knobbly landscape scattered with micro crags and deserted lochans, its lower slopes defended by a winning combination of man eating bog, ankle-twisting tussock and impenetrable conifers. Well I'm sold. A skyline walk around the parallel ranges the Rhinns of Kells and the Awful Hand shows this area at its uncompromising best and includes Merrick, highest summit in southern Scotland. For most teams this will be an overnighter, and it just so happens there's great camping at about the mid-way point (anywhere in stage 4, below).

23.55 miles, 37.90 km, 2,018m ascent, 13 hours. Dalmellington

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=859
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Dan - the best thing about the Galloway Hills is the lack of crowds - don't go encouraging them!
 malky_c 13 Aug 2014

Had a great trek over the more westerly of these hills last month - starting at Cairnsmore of Fleet and ending in Dalmellington, by way of White Laggan bothy and a high camp on Shalloch on Minnoch. I wouldn't rush back to much of the Southern Uplands, but this bit is well worth visiting. Hope to come back one day!
In reply to Stephen Reid - Needle Sports:

Sorry Stephen!
 Max factor 13 Aug 2014

I lived at Lamloch, a hillfarm on the most Northerly of the Rhinns of Kells. Memories of long days out with the dogs, clegs and never a soul to be seen.

Mind you that's a hell of a circuit and you look like you had some great weather!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...