Tent groundsheet idea

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie Hageman 09 Nov 2022

For winter camping in the snow, I've been using an additional groundsheet which goes inside the tent on top of the existing groundsheet.  It's an off-cut of Cromar Vent 3 building membrane which my sister gave me.  It's brilliant and seems to insulate very well against the cold - it's actually comfortable to the touch, when the groundsheet underneath is freezing.

I've used it for the past two years and wouldn't camp in snow without it now.

dread-i 09 Nov 2022
In reply to Jamie Hageman:

Never heard of that fabric before. I've got some Tyvek, I use a a ground sheet protector. Builders use it and, amongst other things,  festival wristbands are made from it. Very light and strong.

OP Jamie Hageman 09 Nov 2022
In reply to dread-i:

Yes, I tried Tyvek but found it very rustly/noisy and stiff and not very nice to use.  The softer, supple Cromar stuff is much nicer and more comfortable, and warmer.

Doug 09 Nov 2022

if camping next /close to the car I have a piece of thick blanket cut to fit the tent, helps keep it warm

DaveHK 09 Nov 2022

> Yes, I tried Tyvek but found it very rustly/noisy and stiff and not very nice to use.  The softer, supple Cromar stuff is much nicer and more comfortable, and warmer.

I use tyvek but under the groundsheet. It's softened up a lot in use and is still in good nick after maybe 30 nights.

PaulJepson 09 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Yep. For this application, running it in a tumble dryer (not on hot!) for a while first is recommended to soften it up. 

Babika 09 Nov 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

30 nights? 

I've used my cut up orange survival bag - cost about £4.99 for over 200 camping nights. It's not showing any signs of deterioration.

I've used 3mm EPE foam packaging sheet for years. Insulating, cushioning and free... Goes under the tent.

Bit bulky, though, so for car camping.

Post edited at 21:58
 lone 11 Nov 2022

Hi 

I use roofing membrane; you can buy it on eBay by the meter, very weatherproof so good as a groundsheet. I bought 3m worth and I was surprised how big it was, I just cut it to size then

Go to eBay and search - "Felt CROMAR VENT 3 Pro 165 gsm"

L

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...