Tal-y-bont to Pen-Y-Fan / Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Skiptomylou 18 Sep 2020

Hi everyone, first post here so hope it's the right section.

I'm looking into doing the above trail (https://www.alltrails.com/trail/wales/powys/pen-y-fan-from-talybont-res), with a plan on starting maybe an hour before sunrise, or something like that. I have never approached from this side before, I have only done the Pont-ar-Daf route and the Jacob's ladder. From what I know it should be a manageable route, but having never done it before I just wanted to see if anyone has experience of that? Also my worry is animals, I know there are tons of sheep around but those are quite ok with me, anything else I should potentially be careful about?

Just a note: I am in acceptable shape (runner, few sub-3h marathons), quite used to mountains (I have been running and hiking on technical alpine trails for quite a while), and have all the necessary equipment (headlamps/compass/maps/torch/etc.), as this would not be the first time I attempt something similar. I am also aware of how windy/cold can be on top of the Corn Du and Pen Y Fan, been there in the morning a few times. Obviously I am not going to try it if the weather is turning to the worse.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Post edited at 14:45
 Mike Peacock 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Skiptomylou:

I haven't done the first part of that route starting from Tal y Bont but I imagine with your background you'd be fine. The paths up there are mostly pretty obvious. Waun Rydd can be a confusing place in mist but the path is ok from memory. For much of the rest of the route you're following the edges so easy to navigate.

Animals? There may be cows in the lower fields but apart from that there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

In reply to Skiptomylou:

I had a direct entry gold DofE practice group do pretty much that route on one day last year. There should be nothing to give you a problem on that route; you go up to the ridge line, and work your way up and down the summits.

I took a short cut on a little, marked track across the N face of Cribyn (coming up from the NNE ridge), to cut off the summit to meet the group more quickly. That gave a couple of moments where I thought "don't fall here" as I hurried along it... But you'll be on the ridge, which is much more benign.

You may see ponies, too, but they won't bother you.

Post edited at 16:58
mysterion 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Skiptomylou:

A nice traverse. Nothing in particular to be aware of except maybe counting the path corners on the more featureless early bit and finding the 'diving board' next to the path on Fan y Big.

Post edited at 17:11
 Welsh Kate 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Skiptomylou:

It's a really straightforward route navigationally. The lovely cairn of Carn Pica at the top of the main climb out of Talybont will guide you on your way west - until then just head up the ridge. Then the only navigational concerns are - at 'five ways' at the west end of Waun Rydd, just make sure you continue west and don't take the path down to Torpantau by mistake. The hardest thing will probably be finding the gate onto the open land from the reservoir!

Have a great time.

In reply to Skiptomylou:

Very straight forward, walked it with my 13 year old a few weeks ago. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...