Summer ML award

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gav Parker 11 Nov 2019

Good morning all

I have just completed my ML Training week. Im looking to assist in taking groups out to gain experience and knowledge to help towards me getting the qualification. 
What is the best way of going about this? Is there anywhere organisations or outdoor businesses ask for the availability of Leaders and trainees to help out when they need support?
Thanks

jezb1 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Gav Parker:

There's a couple of Facebook groups that are worth joining if you haven't already. UK Trainee Mountain Leaders and Freelance Outdoor Instructors.

Worth remembering that while there's no requirement to gain any assisting days before assessment it can be really useful, although they're usually not Quality Mountain Days.

trish1968 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Gav Parker:

When I did my Summer ML I joined a local walking group and planned and led a lot of their walks. I took friends on walks they all count doesn't have to be a official organization as long as it's a proper mountain day. (unless they've changed the rules)

Mark Haward 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Gav Parker:

You could try your local walking / climbing clubs. Offer to lead groups on QMDs, going with friends and fellow ML trainees is useful too. Good excuse to visit different mountainous areas. Perhaps you could teach someone some night nav. You could volunteer ( DBS check required ) to help train gold D of E groups in a local school / college or scout group. They often appreciate support and you broaden your training / leading experience even if it is teaching students how to camp, cook, pack a rucksack, plan and navigate routes etc.

Good luck!

OP Gav Parker 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Gav Parker:

Thankyou to Jez, Trish and Mark for those great idea’s.

annieman 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Gav Parker:

HF Holidays is where I gained useful experience and a Partner.

Neil Williams 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Mark Haward:

Scouting is another possibility.  You'd need to gain a Permit from them, but that might be a useful go at an assessment before doing the proper one too.  Because the approach is to issue a Permit tailored to the individual rather than a simple yes/no if you're lacking a bit in one particular area they may still issue one based on lower level or simpler areas so you still get the experience.

Post edited at 22:09
OP Gav Parker 13 Nov 2019
In reply to Neil Williams:

Thankyou for your ideas much appreciated....

lone 14 Nov 2019
In reply to Gav Parker:

I started out with the Ramblers leading walks, I've learned a lot from them over the years, not only about building on a more broader experience in the group management skills but about the environment, wildlife & flora, and have made some good friends too.  Some group members might be involved within the environmental side of things and they are a pool of knowledge.

Where as you would probably do a lot more lowland or hill and moorland leading with the Ramblers, its good experience working with the group side of things. Leading groups who still want to get into the hills but like shorter walks than the norm, is a good skill to build on, because you work much more closely with the reccing side, choosing the appropriate route on the fringes of the uplands, but occasionally going a little bit into the uplands and not striding out to the tops; it's when that type of walking suits a group I find interesting as you tailor your route specifically. Quite often the route is very interesting and challenging from a navigational aspect too.

Speaking to locals/farmers about things you find interesting on route is a good idea as you'll probably be asked about the things you pass when you lead your walk, the more information you can provide will make the experience more interesting for all of you.

Walking groups are always keen to have new leaders, especially younger leaders, walking groups are conscious that they need to recruit new younger members, you won't have a problem joining and leading, I found the most important thing was to be realistic route wise with the people I was going to lead for.  Getting to know what they like before hand will give you a better idea on what to give from your leading.

All the best

Jason

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...