Straightforward walks, South West/South Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trevers 27 Sep 2020

I'm currently recovering from a knee injury and surgery. My recovery will probably take another 3 to 4 months but I've lost enough of the year already and for my sanity I need to be getting outside for longer. My strength and mobility are still down but I'm making quick progress, I have crutches and a knee brace but I'm not completely reliant on them.

I'm Bristol based but would consider a driving radius of up to two hours. I don't mind distance or total height gain but I need a fairly flat surface underfoot, anything that is likely to turn my foot is a big no. Also, anything that requires a descent that is steep and sustained. Preferably I'd love to reach a hilltop or a nice viewpoint.

I know that's possibly a contradictory set of requirements! All suggestions greatly appreciated.

In reply to Trevers:

Cleeve Hill, Cheltenham.  You get to the highest point in the Cotswolds, which is not very high, get wonderful views across Gloucestershire and you could take a gander at Castle Rock just to get the climbing juices flowing. You even start half way up the hill and it's a gentle walk.

Al

felt 27 Sep 2020
In reply to Trevers:

Dunkery Beacon?

In reply to Trevers:

Park at Avebury, head along the road east to the Ridgeway and then turn north and walk along it.  Back by dropping west and following other paths (a map will help!) or by going back south and around to Silbury Hill and/or West Kennet long barrow and back to Avebury (that map will help, again) or by simply returning the way you came.  Excellent views, and lots of history.

T.

Rob Exile Ward 27 Sep 2020
In reply to Trevers:

The Malverns are a good suggestion. Cwmcarn and Twmbarlwm near Newport is another good destination. And Craign Cerrig Glesiad is worth considering, though with dodgy legs you might have to come down the ay you came up, (from the north.) 

Welsh Kate 27 Sep 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Cwmcarn and Twmbarlwm both good calls, but both in lockdown areas so no-go. Virtually all of South Wales now under 'local' lockdowns again, so don't think west of the Wye Valley at present I'd suggest. The Wye Valley, on the other hand might be a good option - the Wye Valley walk?

Chmusar 27 Sep 2020
In reply to Trevers:

The Mendips ??

Ben Callard 27 Sep 2020
In reply to Trevers:

There are some good ridge walks in the black mountains which don't require much up and down if you park in the right spots. Hatteral hill, and the Gaer to Bal Mawr are both quite steady and you feel that you're in the hills. 

Also, big loops around the Sugar Loaf (without going to the top) are good for a couple of hours. 

GeorgeR 28 Sep 2020
In reply to Trevers:

Crook Peak and Wavering Down are a great walk with fantastic views.

Beacon Batch in the Mendips

A Circuit of Cheddar gorge

Quantocks

Just a few local to Bristol. good luck with the recovery!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...