South West Coast Path

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Madmax 24 Jun 2020

Hi

I've decided to take an unpaid year's leave from work and I want to ultimately complete the South West Coast Path with my dog.

I intend training the rest of this year by completing the Wold's Way (79 miles) and other local walks in my area, including hill walks and then April 2021 starting the South West Coast Path.  I have done parts in Cornwall twice and will be visiting Dorset in July this year to undertake parts around this area.  I found it extremely challenging but I really want to complete this as something worthy to have behind me.

I am looking to stay in B&B's or YHA's (the cheaper the better!) and I see the general advice is to book a few nights in advance but then book as I go along the Trail.  I am a 49 year old woman walking alone with my 9 year old dog who is fit and healthy for his age.

Does anything think this idea is just a dream or downright crazy?!  All advice and/or criticism welcome.  

I'm not looking to wild camp as this is something I've never done and quite frankly I wouldn't feel safe.  I'm willing to devote 3 months to completing the Trail.

Thanks

Mark Kemball 24 Jun 2020
In reply to Madmax:

I've not done it myself, but it does not sound at all daft as ideas go.

A couple of books worth reading (if you haven't already): The Salt Path -  https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/9781405937184?gC=5a105e8b&gcl... 

and 500 Mile Walkies -  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Five-Hundred-Mile-Walkies-South-west/dp/0091641705...

scope 24 Jun 2020
In reply to Madmax:

Its worth considering when training/planning that there is a huge amount of ascent and descent on the SW coast path.

jasonC abroad 24 Jun 2020
In reply to Madmax:

If your doing it with a dog then definitely read 500 Mile Walkies, it's quite old (1980's I think) so not much use a guide, he seems to pay around £5 for B&B but it's a great read.

abr1966 24 Jun 2020
In reply to Madmax:

Sounds a great idea to me!

The only issue I can foresee is the availability of b&b's or hostels that will take a dog....!

Its a great path....I've done bits of it in North Devon and its lovely dropping down in to small coves and beaches...nice pubs, plenty of shops for provisions etc...enjoy! 

BuzyG 24 Jun 2020
In reply to Madmax:

It's a great idea.  It's also a serious challenge.  There are plenty of stretches where you will be averaging 100m+ of climbs per km walked of over the day.  So get you and your dog good and fit then be realistic about your targets.  

I can't help much with where to stay as we live in Cornwall and have been walking it in little chunks for 3 years now. We are late 50's and we were enjoying it immensely until Covd19 struck.  Will get back there soon I hope.

Here is a great site for planning stages on.  You may well have found it already.

https://www.southwestcoastpath.org.uk/

Post edited at 17:05
In reply to Madmax:

I think that it sounds like an excellent adventure and the best of luck to you. 

The official SWCP website has lots of great information. 

Keep us posted as to how you get on

Jonathan Haine 25 Jun 2020
In reply to Madmax:

We have walked the section from Minehead to Padstow over two weeks in summer holidays. Never had too much of a problem getting accommodation but you will need to pre book at that time of year - probably a bit more choice at other times of the year. The section between Bideford and Bude is quite sparsely populated so the choice round there is less unless you want to divert inland. The YHA just south of Hartland Point is good though. For guides we used the Paddy Dillon book but his days are quite long. We had our two children with us so we used to spilt his days into something more manageable. Hope you enjoy it - its a great route

mattck 25 Jun 2020
In reply to Madmax:

Sounds like a great idea, just be sure to get some hill training in. There are a tonne of significant elevation changes, one after another. Best of luck.

Derry 26 Jun 2020
In reply to Madmax:

I would also recommend reading the Salt Path. Just finished it and it nothing short of inspirational. They did it on a shoestring budget (and that is being generous) wild camping (mostly) all the way. So it won't give you any information about where to stay, but its a great read nonetheless.

Rip van Winkle 27 Jun 2020

In reply to Andy 1902:

Another approach which I saw in Aviemore many years ago was the dog carrying its own stuff in dog panniers. Might not be an option for some breeds of course - this one was a Labrador.

Removed User 27 Jun 2020
In reply to Madmax:

I walk long distance paths on my own and the major problem I have found is that not many BnBs are willing to take a single person for a single night  YHAs and independent hostels are useful if there are any around but you may have problems with a dog. I seem to have to take a tent with all the attendant paraphenalia which means I have quite a heavy load which is beginning to take a toll now I am in my 70s. Like you I have been looking at the SW coast path and found accommmodation gaps. I think you might have to research bus routes which can return you to a base  - I did this on the Hebridean Way last year.

Diddy 27 Jun 2020

I have done the SWCP and mostly wild camped it with the odd BnB and YHA. It is a great walk. For safety sake on occasions I did keep away from the cliff edge, a slip with a backpack and there are some great falls into the ocean.

Removed User 08 Jul 2020
In reply to Madmax:

I live in Cornwall, and have walked the majority of it so I'll help you where I can.

There are a few Yha hostels, not necessarily near the coast but can be easily found through google maps.

Path wise it's difficult, but only in a few places Lantivet bay to Polperro is a doozy, three long climbs getting steeper and longer with each one, a break will be needed believe me.

Going to Port Issac there's a very steep stair climb, couple miles down from Port Isaac, you might be fine but the dog may struggle.

Walking up the coast towards Porthgwarra, there's another fairly steep stair climb, not that hard but some may struggle with it.

It's not that hard to walk the coast, I've been all over it just make sure you're prepared.

People down here are pretty friendly for the most part, and will help you out should you need it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...