Snowdonia Saturday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 G. Tiger, Esq. 24 Nov 2022

Given that the MWIS forecast is shocking for Saturday, any suggestions for wet weather in 70 mph gusts?

I suspect caves are out given the amount of rain we've had...

And I don't fancy the high tops, I might be coming back down again far too quickly 

Ideally it should be a QMD type day, but not going out all seems a very attractive option.

What are the quarries like in the wet? Worth trying snakes and ladders? 

Ta GTE

In reply to G. Tiger, Esq.:

There aren't many caves in Eryri. 

Lots of mines though, and they are generally self draining (to a permanent level) so don't respond to rainfall. 

ExiledScot 25 Nov 2022

Plan a linear route with the wind primarily behind you, stay off narrow ridges. Perfect weather for a qmd somewhere you've not walked before. S to N over moelwyns? 

Rory Shaw 25 Nov 2022

Pub?

annieman 25 Nov 2022

Have a look at the Mapp between Bala and Betws, Arenigs etc. Lots of space, lower down, fewer people, less well defined paths, plenty of micro-nav exploration, rougher terrain.

Enjoy

CantClimbTom 25 Nov 2022

Snakes and ladders can be done during cloudbursts and gales, I've done this and there was a LOT of water moving about. I would warn in those conditions you may find the short tunnel at the top of the snake can start to pond. Obviously you will be out in hideously wet and windy weather so that's an "adult" decision to take on how you feel walking near edges in gusts

Ron Rees Davies suggestion would be my personal go-to, but I'm scared to recommend examples without knowing someone as this can be anywhere between a fantastic day out to death-on-a-stick and judgment/experience is required. In the past I would have chimed in with Maenofferen or Croesor CRTT as comparatively tamer examples, but I've heard tell of people needing rescuing from both especially CRTT, so best not mention them unless you are already experienced in suchlike

Clwyd Chris 25 Nov 2022

I suspect caves are out given the amount of rain we've had...

Like Big Ron says no caves pal, you need to go East , Alyn Valley way or Minera nr Wrexham

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...