Snowdonia on Sat, Verglas everywhere?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Red Rover 16 Jan 2020

I'm planning on waling on Snowdonia on Sat with a couple of novices who are generally hill fit and steady, but don't have experience of things being rocky and slippy. We have Grivel spikes for boots so we're OK in the odd patch of snow but they won't do anything on verglas.

Given that on Friday it's going to rain a lot, and then the temperature will go below freezing for pretty much the whole weekend. do people think that places like the Glyder plateau will be a horrible mess of ice-covered rock? 

With the freezing level being low I'm thinking of routes I could do that will be OK, maybe up Y Garn and down the Devil's Kitchen will be OK if there's a bit of ice?

Cheers

OP Red Rover 16 Jan 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

P.S. just read a ground condition report predicting snow down to 500m tomorrow so I might stay lower or see if I can borrow enough crampons

lone 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

Hi

I did some lovely walk's from Cwm Eigiau area recently, from the car park (SH 731 663). My route followed the track into Dulyn Reservoir, there is a Bothy there, a good place for a cuppa, then retraced steps to SH 711 659 where you can get up to 735 high point (SH 713 655) I came around to SH 698 646 (just up from Gledrffordd) and dropped down into Cwm Eigiau, below Craig yr Ysfa, and followed the main track back to the cars. That was a good day out.

Perhaps, depending on your group though, and how they are feeling, at SH 725 666 you can leave the main track there and pass the ruins of Maeneira, then on up to Pen y Castell, and just return to the car park the way you came. Either way its a good area to explore.

Jason

OP Red Rover 17 Jan 2020
In reply to lone:

Thanks! 

mysterion 17 Jan 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

I would have thought spikes of any sort  would be fine for verglas and not really required for soft snow (assuming you are going up one of the paths and not Crib Goch)

Post edited at 17:05
OP Red Rover 17 Jan 2020
In reply to mysterion:

Thanks, I was just thinking of one of the usual walks round the glyders or Carnedd Dafydd.

OP Red Rover 20 Jan 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

We had a great walk along the Glyders in the end and it was all fine. I thought it had been raining over the tops and wondered if everything would be coated in ice but it was just snow. I'm just a bit paranoid when taking novices out. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...