/ Snowdonia Mountains now SHUT...

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Sl@te Head 25 Mar 2020
wercat 25 Mar 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Well that has set a precedent for 2020, like 2001!  Lakes Next?

Northern Star 25 Mar 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I can perfectly understand not wanting visitors traveling from afar to walk in the mountains, but this is such a shame for local people who can access these areas perfectly easily on foot.  Getting up in the hills is probably essential for the mental health and well being of many during these difficult times, finding the solitude and space they need to put their difficulties into perspective. 

I wonder if the Snowdonia Park Authority could not have supported local people in this respect but unfortunately I guess the unintended consequences of this will mean that the remaining open parks, beaches, green spaces etc. will just become busier - making it slightly more difficult to keep a reasonable distance from other people.  I sincerely hope that this (seemingly) knee-jerk reaction does not cause negative consequences further down the line.

olddirtydoggy 25 Mar 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

I don't blame them as too many can't be trusted. I wonder what action they can take if somebody ignored the new restrictions? There's always one.

Neil Williams 25 Mar 2020
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

I suppose that'll depend what mechanism they've used to close them, being public rights of way?  They can close the access land easily enough as that's effectively permissive.  I guess a byelaw?

Edit: Ah, the Welsh Government have made a law:

"The closures ensure that park authorities are complying with the "Health Protection (Coronavirus: Closure of Leisure Businesses, Footpaths and Access Land) (Wales) Regulations 2020" introduced by Welsh Government this week."

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/wsi/2020/334/regulation/4/made

Not sure if there's an English equivalent so the Lakes/Peak may not be able to.

Notably it says they *have* to, not that they *can*!

Post edited at 18:20
gezebo 25 Mar 2020
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Well some are. I think it’s also aimed at people bringing their campervans etc and also to allow the closure of campsites etc. 

Maps need to be made showing where the restrictions are in place. I hope it’s not a sledgehammer approach to cracking a nut and it does seem a little copy and paste from foot and mouth. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.