Sgurr Sgumain Easiest Ascent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 iangpark 01 Sep 2020

Have been meticulously planning out routes for the Munros and tops of the Cuillin should I be so inclined in the next few years. As an unroped scrambler, the tops seem to be the primary obstacle in the way, however the majority (bar Sgurr Thearlaich and Bhasteir Tooth) appear to be all high Grade 2 or below (although I am comfortable doing a Mod in good conditions if necessary). Although from OS maps coverage I'd guess I'm correct, but I'm still not totally certain whether the MT Sgurr Sgumain is a doddle from it's SW Coire Lagan scree run (seems to be unnamed - the other side of W Buttress to the great stone chute). I was amazed to be unable to even find a photo of it's south face straight on from SnC. The there-and-back Mod from Alasdair does look an exposed one so would prefer to avoid it if possible. Cheers

Mark Bull 01 Sep 2020
In reply to iangpark:

It is just a walk from the S side (Bealach Coire a' Ghrunnda), approaching either up the Sgumain Stone Shoot (lots of scree) or over Sron na Ciche. 

OP iangpark 01 Sep 2020
In reply to Mark Bull:

Thanks a lot Mark - had thought so but just couldn't get any info on it.

Mark Bull 01 Sep 2020
In reply to iangpark:

You're very welcome: I can recommend this book http://micapublishing.com/thecuillin/ as a good source of such information! 

Nathan Adam 01 Sep 2020
In reply to iangpark:

Beware the Sgumain Stone Shoot which has seen some big rockfall and generally unsound movements in recent years, perhaps a better option from the Ghrunnda side.

In reply to Mark Bull:

> It is just a walk from the S side (Bealach Coire a' Ghrunnda), approaching either up the Sgumain Stone Shoot (lots of scree) or over Sron na Ciche. 

Sgumain Stone Shoot was never a 'walk'. It's very steep, quite unstable scree, and about a third of the way up you have to heave yourself over a lot of huge boulders, virtual rock-climbing, and very arduous. It's almost as bad in descent because it's just so physical. I used to quite enjoy it when I was very fit, but it really is quite heavy duty.

OP iangpark 01 Sep 2020

Cheers both for that info. Ghrunnda side may well be a more enjoyable option - suppose could combine it at the start of the day with nan Eag and Dubh Mor, rather than leaving the scree run for the end after Mhic Coinnich.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...