Sgurr Choinnich & Sgurr a'Chaorachain -MTB access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pids 21 Nov 2018

Is it possible to MTB from the A890 in Glen Carron or is it easier to walk - which would be best / quicker?

Mike-W-99 21 Nov 2018
In reply to Pids:

Its a good track for biking in.

OP Pids 21 Nov 2018
In reply to Mike-W-99:

> Its a good track for biking in.

Cheers - may just sway my ideas for a last munro bagging trip of 2018!

Nialld 21 Nov 2018
In reply to Pids:

Perfectly possible to ride.  Its a bit of a grind on the way in, but the descent back out makes it well worth it.  Reckon it saved us a good hour, plus nice to give the feet a break.  Its a good hard track all the way.

Post edited at 12:56
In reply to Pids:

Have had my bike up this way several times summer and winter. A bit of a grind up to end of forestry section then ok the whole way to Glenuig lodge(eg if also doing Maol Lunndaidh ). Very fast run back.especially down the forested section. 

Mal Grey 21 Nov 2018
In reply to Pids:

Its a good track all the way to the lodge, so beyond where you'll probably need. In fact, to the top of the main climb you could comfortably do it on almost any bike, gets a little bumpier afterwards but still easy. There's a fair old climb, with one quite steep bit up to Cona Mheallain. For some reason, its always windy at the top of this so even after you summit, you might be working hard still!

Once needed the granny ring on the flat bit in the wind somewhere after that bit, but it was still worth it for the time saving (was in winter) and the very fast ride back down. I do remember both me and my mate getting cramp at exactly the same moment in the back of Maol Lunndaidh's Fuar-Tholl Mor, thanks to how much we'd worked cycling in that time.

Removed User 21 Nov 2018
In reply to Mal Grey:

Back in the day you could drive to the top of the forest............

andrew ogilvie 21 Nov 2018
In reply to Pids:

I broke a chain on the first steep hill there in one of a series of abortive attempts on those hills, another time ( maybe the same time in fact) I pitched my tent on the river bank only to be alerted the next morning (and not a moment too soon) by a passing walker that I was now essentially camping in the river. 

As I write this I'm reminded that I also attempted to ride in up the track starting form the parking west of loch sgamhain. This wasn't a good idea either

I also once drove from my parent's in Dundee to bag these hills only to find the weather appalling...never mind I thought, I'll just go bouldering at Kishorn...parked the car opened the door - door blew shut again. gave up drove home to Glasgow.

As a result of this relentless incompetence I have a considerable affection for these modest hills.

Sean Kelly 22 Nov 2018
In reply to Pids:

I checked this out on foot the night before my traverse of these peaks and reckoned it would save me over an hour at the end of a long day. When I got the bike off the car the next morning I was mortified to notice a flat tyre complete with nail. Needless to say I walked.  Another time there was a research group working some way up the track with the gate unlocked, so Harold my walking partner drove his Landcruiser all the way up!

Post edited at 17:26

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...