NEW ROUTE CARD: Sgor Gaoith from Glen Feshie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
March morning on the summit of Sgor Gaoith Westernmost of the high Cairngorms, Sgor Gaoith is the high point of a broad ridge forming the west side of Gleann Einich, and joined to the bulk of the Braeriach/Cairn Toul massif by the undulating boggy table of Am Moine Mhor. It is a hill of two distinct halves. On one side, rounded slopes and spurs roll gently away into Glen Feshie, while on the other, the face overlooking Loch Einich forms a vast sprawl of broken ribs and steep gullies. The summit is like the corner of a tilted table, a sharp little peak poised above that 500 metre drop. There's no straightforward walker's route up the east flank - so go west. From the native pine woods of the lower slopes, to the spacious striding up on the wide summit plateau, the circuit from the Glen Feshie side is a long-ish day, but not too taxing underfoot.

11.37 miles, 18.30 km, 981m ascent, 7 hours. Kingussie

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1228
 Harry Jarvis 26 Mar 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

I've always done that particular hill the other way round - clockwise from Glen Feshie, starting at the car park at 851984, and a nice stroll along the glen to get the legs warmed up before turning uphill to follow the track beside the Allt Choire Chaoil, which brings you out conveniently to bag Mullach Clach a' Bhlair (is that still a Munro - I lose track). In decent weather, the trek north to Carn Ban Mor and Sgor Gaoith is pleasant, and the views across Loch Eanaich to Braeriach are magnificent. This route does have the disadvantage of some dull tarmac-bashing to finish, which your route will avoid. 

Post edited at 15:35
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Yes, good idea: That way you get to experience the Moine Mhor too, which is a pretty impressive expanse of upland. And you also see Coire Garbhlach, and a lot more of the Glen Feshie pine woods. And you get that second Munro tick with MCa'B, though in most respects that's the least interesting part of the day (the epitome of a dull lump??). But it's a much bigger round at about 28-29km vs 18k for the route I went for here. The other day, with deep snow, I'd never have managed that without skis... 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...