Seana Bhraigh route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pids 24 Aug 2018

Thinking of heading to Seana Bhraigh but using an alternative route - thinking of using MTB, from Ullapool, along the private road to East Rhiodorroch Lodge, looks like there a path that extends well past there then walk up and over Meall nam Bradhan and up Seana Braigh - anyone done any of this and can offer advice?

alan moore 24 Aug 2018
In reply to Pids:

Did the very same about 30 years ago only asked permission from the estate to drive up to the lodge.

There were good paths where marked on the OS map (through a glacial outwash channel with a long, narrow loch) and a bit of mild moor bashing. We called by the bothy and went up An Sgurr; about 20 mile round trip.

That was a while ago, of course. It might be wall to wall windmills now....

Footloose 24 Aug 2018
In reply to Pids:

You run out of track before you get there and the terrain's rugged after that - but yes, it can be done. Take the quarry road at Morefield and carry on past Loch Achall.

OP Pids 24 Aug 2018
In reply to Footloose:

Cheers, its either that or in from Inverleal - just thought from Ullapool may be an alternative.

Mark Bull 24 Aug 2018
In reply to Pids:

Last time I was there we met a party doing a traverse from the Lodge to Inverlael, but I'm not sure what route they took. Here are some notes from the MunroMagic site (currently down, this is from Google's cache copy)  that might help: 

"Cycled up Glen Achail to Loch an Diamh. Mostly easy going but there is a steep section on the track just beyond East Rhidorroch Lodge. A decent stalkers path leads through to Strath Mulzie by the Allt nan Caorach. I chose to head over Meall nam Bradhan but contouring round the ridge and making for the summit of SB may be quicker. Peat hagged col between M nam B and SB then grassy slopes to the top. Great situation and tremendous sense of isolation. Wandered back by Glen Douchary. Tracks and paths shown on the new OS map are not there!!. Excellent waterfalls lower down." 

Sean Kelly 24 Aug 2018
In reply to Pids:

We did it from Ullapool up the valley that leads to Beinn Dearg then crossed over a few ridges. Not too bad but I though the navigation could be tricky in misty weather.

Sean

Footloose 25 Aug 2018
In reply to Pids:

Rhidorroch feels like an easier route than from Inverlael; but check the forecast before you go. There's a real wind tunnel from Loch an Daimh - my tent actually blew away when I got out to make the pegs more secure after the wind suddenly rushed in out of nowhere - and I'd been sitting watching fish leap into the still evening air half an hour before!

Removed User 25 Aug 2018
In reply to Pids:

I've done it the opposite way round, starting at Oykel Bridge and ending up in Ullapool. Your way would be uphill all the way and mean a lot more getting off and pushing especially along the shallow gorge immediately west of East Rhiodorroch.

I've also biked in and out of SB from Oykel Bridge, some years ago. I can't for the life of me remember when we started walking but it wasn't far, and we were on touring rather than mountain bikes for that one. 

russellcampbell 26 Aug 2018
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> We did it from Ullapool up the valley that leads to Beinn Dearg then crossed over a few ridges. Not too bad but I though the navigation could be tricky in misty weather.

> Sean

Navigation is also very tricky from Inverlael, especially if misty. Seana Bhraigh summit is a special place and should be kept for clear conditions. 

OP Pids 27 Aug 2018
In reply to Pids:

Thanks for all the responses guys, did it on Saturday and weather was pretty decent.

Biked the 8 miles up the private road from Ullapool to East Rhiodorrach Lodge (all road) and then followed rough track to the west of Meall na Moch-eirigh then up the valley / river and up to the top, returning via the coll between  Meall nam Bradhan and Creag DubhChois weher we picked up an ATV access track to take us back to Lock an Daimh and the track back to the bikes, then a roll out to the delights of Ullapool.

16 miles of bike and 16 miles of walking, great symmetry - not to be done in a wet dreich day but decent enough way to get into Seana Bhraigh from Ullapool.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...